"Flowerface" Short Story

One of my stories shortlisted in the Ovacome Short Story Comp. It is now online if anyone would like to read.

Flowerface

1 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (29)
    • Congratulations, Karen. You're on a roll!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • That's definitely a sausage roll, the amount I'm eating during lockdown! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • 😀a fantastic whimsical story.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks Kate, prob. the most whimsical element was trying to write as someone at least half my age ...

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Well done, Karen! Fantastic

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Excellent. I enjoyed your story very much

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thanks Alison, glad you enjoyed it. K.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Fantastic, congratulations!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Congratulations, Karen. Great story!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Thank you Julie, glad you enjoyed it. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Darn, when I click it churns but nothing happens -- ?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Not sure why, link working this morning (Sat). Comp was Ovacome Short Story comp to visit via google. Thanks for trying anyway, appreciate that.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • After a restart of my computer the link went through -- Haha, vey cool story, enjoyed that. Congratulations.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Thanks for hanging in there Cathy, glad you enjoyed the story. K.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Love this, Karen. Well done and congratulations. I realise I had a cheesy grin through reading it. It slightly reminds me of one I just critiqued, where a lady has tattoos of flowers representing people from her past and present. Spring must be on the mind.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Ta Jimmy, I was aiming for something a bit whimsical and out there (not my usual style). The comp. theme was "Overcoming" and I wanted to make readers smile!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • What a lovely story, Karen. A wonderful combination of bizarre and beautiful, and wonderfully told. Congratulations on the shortlisting!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Thanks Jon for taking time to read and glad you enjoyed story. K.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • A fun little story, indeed, Karen. Well done on the shortlisting.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Thanks Rick, really appreciate your taking the time to read & comment. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Lovely little charming piece Karen. Splendid stuff, and congratulations with shortlisting. Strangely enough, "Flowerface" is a title that I have also used. Not for a story, but a picture I took of my cat Willow a few years ago when she was clambering down between the side of the barn and an abundance of pink stuff. When suddenly, a little black face appeared, behold.....Flowerface!  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Beautiful pic!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Thanks for reading Neil. And I adore your photo of Willow, lovely. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • This is lovely Karen. When my Dad woke up after a spell in intensive care a few years back he didn’t see us all as flowers but he did announce to everyone on the ward that he had to get out because it was time to do the lambing. He has never lived or worked on a farm. The brain is indeed a peculiar thing!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • That is such a sweet story about your Dad, maybe my Flowerface idea could happen after all! Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • OOO that reminds me of a book I read as a child, not a children's book (spoiler alert), called The Abandoned by Paul Gallico (can't believe I remember this.) About a child who loves cats but is not allowed any pets, getting hit by a car while trying to pick up a stray, and while in coma he IS a cat and lives with ferals and learns how to BE a proper cat, and other lessons on life. Then when he wakes, for a moment he can't accept he's not in that world without his best girl cat friend anymore, and (at first) rejects the little kitten his worried Mom has brought to him, because the kitten isn't his dear friend from the other world. 

Makes me wonder what dream/alternate life your Dad experienced while in hospital. Dreams can be so real it makes me wonder about concurrent lives, sometimes, haha. Parallel universes, that sort of thing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • I find the workings of the brain fascinating. When Richard Hammond woke up after his massive head injury he famously asked the woman at his bedside who she was. When she told him she was his wife he replied “No you’re not, my wife’s French!”

Our brains are such a jumble of real memories and dreams and fantasies it is no surprise that sometimes the “wrong” memories surface. I am always interested in what unreliable witnesses we make because no two people ever remember the same incident in the same way and we are all open to suggestion no matter how sure of ourselves we think we are. If I were ever brave enough to try to write a detective story or a psychological thriller I would definitely use some of that theory.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Loved it. It actually reminded me of being in hospital. I wish I’d thought of the medical teams as being flowers, it would have been a wonderful release from the reality of hospital life. Fab.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Thanks Georgina, glad you enjoyed this. I have many happy floral memories from when I was a child as my grandfather was a keen gardener and I had free rein in the flower beds, allowed to pick flowers for baskets and posies. I guess that influenced me.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                          •  · 25 friends