Has anyone heard of or taken part in on Twitter before?

I've just been made aware of it's existence, and apparently on 4th March, you use the to pitch 280 words. Agents can then read through and like/request further details.

That's so far as much as I know. I'm going to be looking into this further, but wanted to make others aware, and also ask for any advice/feedback from those who've entered this before.

As a Twitter-phobe, I guess if better head off to get me an account set up. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (42)
  • I'll be your first follower, Rose! I'm on Twitter a bit, though only 130 followers 😂

I've heard of - it's possibly the biggest pitching event on Twitter. A lot of agents take part. Never taken part, though. I thought it was mainly American agents and I've aimed at Brit ones so far.

Be interested to see what others say, of it's worth s go

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Ah thanks Lynn, I'm @rachhuntsborne and I have 0 followers! Hurrah hahaha.

Yes it does seem to be very US centric, but I have read a few things that suggest some UK agents do to part. We can but try, eh?

And I've just noticed Jodi Taylor is doing a live on Facebook tonight specifically for helping aspiring writers! Thanks Twitter, I shall be joining, methinks. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • I'm on a Discord group where they're mad for it. A coupe of them have even had some success so there must be something in it. An idea is to connect with other pitchers and retweet each other's pitches to reach a wider audience.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thanks Jimmy, really interesting to hear that. I have dabbled in Twitter previously. Well, dipped a toe in, then got scared and ran away haha. So this will be a crash course for me! 

Cheers 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Me too! I downloaded the app but didn't know where to go from there.😕  I'll try to find you. 

I'm @FelicioneFarm. Anyone that follows me, I'll follow back!

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I must admit, it can take a bit of getting used to. I almost ran away twice last year, but kept finding some really useful stuff among the crap.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I’ve tried a couple of Twitter pitching events (with no success), though not pitmad. I’ve always thought that one was more American too, but anything’s worth a try. I’ll go follow you Rose.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thanks Kate. Maybe we can all try together and see if we have any success.

Cheers 🙂

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • You’re not coming up under that name Rose. If you want to follow me @KateMachon I’ll follow you back. A double edged sword as you’ll have to put up with my tweets! :D

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • How odd! Oh well, I have found you and followed you. That sounds dodgy haha.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Hi Rose, following you now (I'm @alexmoney10). Haven't done for the same reasons the others have mentioned, but I've tried some of the UK versions aimed at children's books. To be honest, they're a bit of a lottery - so many people are tweeting at the same time, it's easy for your own tweet to be lost in a sea of them and for you to get dispirited when you don't get any likes from agents. Or worse still, getting a like and then realising it's from one of your friends trying to help who doesn't know the rules! But I do hear of people who find agents through them, so there's always the temptation to try again.

Funnily enough, I've done a tweet pitch today as part of something called that's been running throughout Feb. I think it's mainly - but not exclusively - for children's book writers, but it's been really useful to me and a great example of how supportive and encouraging twitter's can be!

Cheers

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Hi Julie, was about to reply but then saw Kate already had! So basically... what Kate says! 😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Thanks, Kate.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Ok, I'll check it out, thanks.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Same as Lynn and Kate from what I know pitmad seems be mainly US agents taking part and quite big for YA and fantasy.

If you want to follow me I’m @Laure0901 and I can follow you back.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Thank you! 

I'm in the fantasy genre (magic realism), so I may give it a go. If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to try out some elevator pitchers, I guess.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hi, I agree it's mostly American and there are thousands and thousands of entries but it's a good exercise in doing an elevator pitch and a great way to make writing friends. 

I love the writing community on twitter. It's a great place to learn. 

I am @mckinlaycaron and will follow back. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Thank you, I shall find and follow you now.

Well, making friends and practicing pitches is always a bonus.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • 0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Ah, if only I could tolerate the noise that is Twitter…

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • That's why I didn't last long. This time, I'm only following relevant content, or at least that's the plan. Yeah, we'll see how that goes.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Aw, come on Rick, we don't have to tweet, we'll just bird watch together.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • I have never tried twitter. I have enough trouble following townhouse! Maybe one day.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • I've booked this week off work for messing about with MS etc. If I can't master Twitter this week, there's no hope for me!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Now I know what PitMad is 😀 

PS: I use Twitter a lot (@MoscowVicky). But at some point I almost dropped it, because of the noise and endless retweets of political news. Made me anxious really. I got back to the platform and just unfollowed everyone who was obsessed with political news. Then I blacklisted words and names to clean up my feed. Now it's a great source for writing advice and connecting with writers / editors. 

PS: now Instagram is a different story. They killed the platform with all those crazy algorithms. But even before that their obsession with influencers and their fake lifestyles annoyed lots of loyal users (those of us who remember that Instagram started as a photo sharing cozy space).   

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Thank you - I'll find you on Twitter. I recognise a lot of what you have said, it's why I left after a week or so. I just couldn't cope with it. I am finding the same thing with Facebook, too. However I've started muting/snoozing people now. Or unfriending them if they are too much. 

Twitter does seem like a great place to connect with writers/editors and other like minded people, hopefully it will be useful!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • I’m really careful about only following writers and have so far been lucky to avoid any obsessive or political rampages. Fatal words, perhaps!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • I wondered why Instagram seemed so odd. I used to do it, but gave up on it when it started loosing my posts 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • I'm now contemplating pitching...It's the drowned in other tweets bit that seems tiresome. Worth a go, though. I've picked you all up on twitter. I'm alisongardiner1 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • There really isn't anything to lose Alison and we will support you

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Seconded!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Just in case you don't already know. Make your pitch a pinned post on your profile too when pitching.  Makes it easier for folk to see it. Also sometimes agents come bsck days later. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • https://pitchwars.org/pitmad/

The details/rules for you

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Sounds like a great idea. I'll try to come up with a pitch ☺️. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • Thank you. I'll take a look ☺️

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • I've joined in by following you all through finding  Rachel. I'm the imaginatively named @paulrand12. Joined Twitter around this time last year so I could give pitmad a go having seen something about it on Facebook. Not really into Twitter so haven't tried to gather followers and rarely look at it. It would be good to give pitmad a go again though and this time with friends. Also like the idea of trying out pitches on each other here first. Have I used my 280 characters yet? 😂 Actually, when I did it before, I spent ages trying to get my pitch down to 140 and then realised it was up to 280.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                    •  · 22 friends