Pitches for peer review

Following on from the thread about , it seems a few of us were interested in getting involved. I've created this forum for us to have a go at our pitches (we can post up to 3 on the day).

, although being US centric, actually has agents different countries getting involved.

On 4th March, gives us the opportunity to pitch our work in 280 characters. If an agent/editor likes or favourites, it means they are making a request. Further details are on the link below.

https://pitchwars.org/pitmad/

It includes the genre, audience and additional info # at the bottom of the page. I'll post pitch attempts in the comments below.

It would be great to see a few of us take part, even better to get some requests (hey, I can dream).

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (212)
  • This is great, thanks Rosie. I'll try to cobble something together - I am utterly rubbish at these things! 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Good god, me too! That's the whole point of this thread, so we can help each other to be rather less rubbish! I've just managed to write 3, and I'm not convinced by any of them... Shall post shortly.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Right, here goes, my 3 potential pitches (or at least starting points). Be gentle, I beg you! I've included the hashtags as they count in the character lengths. 

PS - I think I like the first one the least.

PITCH 1

Magic is real, but erased from our world, thanks to the Reality Filter, a spell designed to protect humans from themselves. Kelly is the first human to break through the filter, and now sees what's really there. Extra tough when working in mental health. 

#A

PITCH 2

A month ago, Kelly didn't know magic was real. Now, with the help of 3 imps and a Queen, she must battle a dangerous magical foe to save the life of her patient. Especially tough when you're an assistant psychologist and can see what is really there.

#A

PITCH 3

What would you do if you discovered magic was real, but no-one else knew? For assistant psychologist Kelly, she worries she's going crazy. Until she discovers she has bigger problems. Like a deadly ancient Shadow who seems intent on killing her patient.

#A

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I liked the first one. More straight to the point. However, it lacks voice, so I can see what Caron means about implementing elements of all three

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thank you.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Rose, I prefer elements of all three. I don't think its important she's in assistant in the pitch. I think the killing her patient is important for tension. And I dont think the first one says enough. I have tried combining a new one based on all that. It might give you ideas or not. 

What would you do if you discovered magic was real, but no-one else knew? Psychologist Kelly, worries she's going crazy. Until she discovers she has bigger problems. Like the reality filter and an ancient Shadow who seems intent on killing her patient.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Same with yours, Lynn. Genuinely, it sounds fabulous. In a dark and mysterious way. You know what I mean. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thank you! Fingers crossed, eh? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Fingers, toes, antenna...

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Love that. But another tweak if I may?  I dont think we need to know noone else knows its real - because we say she discovered it. And we dont need going crazy just crazy. Just another attempt and this gets imps in so more magic added to it. Id also change her patient to a patient

What would you do if you discovered magic was real? After breaking her Reality Filter, psychologist Kelly worries she's crazy. Until learning she has bigger problems. Like an ancient Shadow who seems intent on killing a patient. Can the imps help her?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • I know exactly what you mean. I've got to that stage with my synopsis. Proper ball ache!

Great that you're there with yours, good luck with it :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Omg dont even mention the word

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Hahaha, sorry! Nothing to see here, move along please, moooooove allooooooonnnnng

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Sorry Rose just playing around. I think But is better than until learning and cuts words.

What would you do if you discovered magic was real? After breaking her Reality Filter, psychologist Kelly worries she's crazy. But she has bigger problems. Like an ancient Shadow who seems intent on killing and a patient that needs her protection.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Hi 

What is page turner? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • It's a competition for completed manuscripts (there are other categories). If you Google, it should come straight up. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • You're very good at this Caron. When I try to think of this stuff my head turnes to porridge 😂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Hi! Thanks for posting this! Friends have participated and have gotten requests. This is an interesting idea. Love it! The bits that stood out most for me were: Magic is real, reality filter (very clever!), first human to break through, and the fact that she is psychologist worried she's going crazy. If you have these components, I think you have a great pitch. If room, add something about the shadow. I don't think you need the "What if" question in this limited character count. Just say it straight out. Hope this helps and good luck!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Thanks Catherine, good to hear that you know of people getting requests from this. Out of interest, are you/your friends based in the US? 

Thanks for your comments, I'm going to try and muck about with these until I get a couple of versions I can use.

Will you be having a go yourself?

Thanks

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Hi Rose, Yes, I am in Texas. I'll post something for critique soon. This will be my first time pitching in anything twitter based. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • How about starting more simply with 'What if magic was real but nobody else knew?...'

Also, just a general thought, woult it be worth setting up a group here on Townhouse rather than all trying to post our pitches on the same forum post? Then all of us interested in doing can join the group.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • I'm not a JW member. Maybe Holly needs to approve the group. With the latest Uni update, something could have changed.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • I've just checked out how to add a group and we are doing it right so I think the system has changed. I also emailed Holly for help.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Thanks Julie 👍 😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • While we're waiting for that, I've thrown a couple of pitches together. They feel clunky, but it's a start, right?

Here's the one currently out on submission - 

A man sees ghosts, but only their deaths on repeat. Now he needs to solve his best friend’s murder whilst dodging a Victorian psychopath, demons and a Messianic leader intent on starting a war between the living and the dead.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • I think this sounds brilliant Lynn

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Thanks so much, Paul. Fingers crossed, eh?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • And here's one for the WIP, which is part way through a second draft - 

A teenage clairvoyant tries to uncover the secret of his own abduction with the help of a retired war photographer and a house full of ghosts.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Thanks Georgina 😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • "...seek to find out who wrote the diary "  feels pretty passive to me. "Needs to know who" feels more urgent to me. (Might have to tweak the rest of the sentence to make it grammatically correct, but this is just to give an idea of what my gut is saying might be missing. Need is more a driver than 'seek', right?)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Quite right, Cathy. Thanks. I'll take another look 😊
                                                  0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Lynn Ive used Robin as a name as I dont know it. Just a thought for you to tamper with. 

Robin has always been tormented by ghosts, they make him relive the last few seconds of their deaths. But he didn't expect his best friend to haunt him. He must solve his murder. Alongside dodging a Victorian psychopath, demons and a Messianic leader intent on starting a war between the living and the dead.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • Thanks Caron. 

My versions feel very flat and you're good at popping some wonderfully lively words in - tormented I like! 

Neil is tormented by the dying moments of the ghosts he encounters, and is now cursed to see his best friend's death on repeat in order to solve his murder. If that weren't enough, he must dodge a Victorian psychopath, and a Messianic leader hell-bent on starting a war between the living and the dead.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • I still think that first sentence is too long and clumsy Lynn. It doesnt have the power of your writing and th meaning gets lost 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • A teenage clairvoyant discovers diary pages stuck to the walls of an attic room

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • It makes me feel like I'm back sitting in a maths class aged around thirteen!!! Literally makes me want to bash my head on the desk 😂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • Yup, maths will do that to a person.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          • 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          • I would split it Lynn so you get the emotional power of discovering one of the ghosts turns out to be his best friend

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                            • Neil sees ghosts and is tormented by their dying moments. Now he's cursed to relive his best friend's death in order to solve his murder. If that weren't enough, he must dodge a Victorian psychopath, and a Messianic leader hell-bent on starting a war between the living and the dead.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                              • Is it 280 characters for pitmad?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                • It is, and needs to include the as a minimum. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                  • Brilliant! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                  • Sorry, all! T'internet issues - lots of buffering going on here!!!

I'll take these versions away and whittle down to the right character limit - how did people do this when the limit was 140 characters? 😂 

Thanks all so much - you're amazing. 

Looking forward to reading more pitches when people are ready.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                    • Great idea. Just looking at the hashtags and I think #P for paranormal covers both, so at least that's only two characters 😂 Thanks again

0 0 0 0 0 0

• Hi Lynn. I love this concept. It took me a while to understand what "deaths on repeat" meant but once I did, this visionary loop makes your pitch unique. I'm not sure this repeat comes across in your revised version of "relives". That can mean only once. Also, I love the bit about "starting a war between the living and the dead". This draws me in as well. I wondered if the Victorian psychopath and Messianic leader are ghosts? We don't know the time period this is taking place in. Good Luck!

•  

•  

•  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                        • Thanks so much Catherine for the endorsement - glad you liked the idea. So tough to get this stuff across! Keep your fingers crossed for us all😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                        • Hi everyone. Not been on here for a little while, so have only just arrived at this wonderful party.

I joined Twitter last week (yay me!), but would really welcome a crash course on hashtags for this Pitmad thing... What should I add to my pitch if it's for a speculative women's fiction set in the future?

Emma

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                          • Hi Emma, what's your twitter address? I just joined too!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                          • Hi Emma, how are you? I was wondering the same thing this afternoon and found the link below. It gives you all the rules and if you scroll down to the bottom you'll find the hash tags. There is a spec fic and a women's fic hash tag but apparently you'll also need a tag and they count in your character count. I'm still finding all this it myself😂. 

How's the WIP going?

https://pitchwars.org/pitmad/

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                            • Thought so, just being extra helpful 👌😁

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                              • (I didn't realise, btw. Such a nob😂)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                • Don't be daft, I do stuff like that all the time. Then go 'oops'. It's cos we're all so busy being creative, right? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                • FANTASTIC NEWS!

I am utterly blown away by the kindness of an author. She writes psychological fiction and I've read both her books which I loved.  She is fantastic. Anyway, she was running a pitch competition to celebrate her latest publication and I entered knowing full well I wasn't writing in her genre. She was offering a critique of the first three chapters and cover letter. 

I didn't win and I fully endorse the winner but the author then messaged me to say she really liked my pitch and would read my first three chapters and give me her thoughts. 

How kind is that! 

What a wonderful community. I thought I would post to just show people the positive things that can come out of taking part in pitching even if you aren't a winner. ( Although I feel like one!) 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                  • Aww thank you. I was just blown away by her kindness 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                    • That's fantastic news, Caron. Congratulations! Feedback is so precious, especially from someone you admire. I hope she gets to it quickly and doesn't keep you on edge for too long.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                      • That's really brilliant, Caron, and well deserved! What a boost! Most definitely a win 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                      • This is a great thread! I'm going to again this year. One of the main problems is visibility (setting aside a great pitch of course!) There are thousands of writers pitching throughout the day and no way of guaranteeing your pitch will be seen. One way we can help each other is by retweeting each other's pitches. Anyway, you probably knew all that anyway. Here's a couple of mine for starters, any comments welcome - which is the favourite?

After her family inherit land in Jamaica, teenager Olivia becomes the legendary river mumma’s latest obsession. Her loner boyfriend knows far too much about the local myths and now that river mumma needs an heir, Olivia’s in real danger #M #A                   

(274 characters)

The Jamaican river mumma is losing her watery powers. When a family inherits land by her river, she's obsessed by their teenage daughter Olivia. When her life is threatened, a now pregnant Olivia must choose her future, as well as who to trust #M #A                

(278 characters)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                        • Hi Alison, thanks for joining! I'll definitely be RTing as much as I can! Thanks for the add, too.

I prefer the second pitch, the first feels like it has too many elements. The second, we are straight into the crux of it; Inciting incident, main characters (antagonist/protagonist), goal. Just wondering if you need 'their' rather than just 'teenage daughter'. 

I loved reading the opening of this novel, and hope you get some requests from .

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                          • Thanks Lynn - all very astute comments. River Mumma is a mythological water spirit - better explanation than legendary, as you rightly say, but more words! The boyfriend is critical as he is key to the continuance of the river mumma powers. He doesn't have them directly, but his and Olivia's child will/may/could (?!). I need to emphasise this more. It is the boyfriend that ultimately saves Olivia's life when she's abducted, albeit with some magical help. Thanks for your comments - great food for thought.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                            • I like version 2 better Alison. I like the fact you've started with the river mumma and also how the family have inherited land by her river, as though they're the invaders. However, I think the last sentence is a bit too vague. What's the threat on Olivia's life? I quite liked the 'now she needs an heir' from the first one

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                            • Thanks Paul - am busy rewriting! I think I'll end up with one from Olivia's perspective and one from the River Mumma. You're allowed three different ones on the day and participants say it's good to vary them.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                              • Ooh, that's a great tip Alison, thanks 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                • Hi Alison, I think your first pitch from Olivia's perspective nails it. She seems to be the main character. Well done! The second pitch seems a little unfocused. Be careful of too many "when"s. Good luck!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                  • Hi Catherine - just picked up your comment, thank you. Yes, I need to watch the when's' - goodness that's a tongue twister!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                  • Here are two different pitches that I've come up with. What do you think?

What if being a boy/girl was something you had to hide? Joe’s foetus should have been destroyed. At 14, he finds the island where he can be himself. But as danger grows for others like him, Joe and friends set out to seek help beyond neut Britain’s shores.

Joe should never have reached full term in the pregnancy pod. Not neut, his differences must be kept hidden. As puberty looms, he travels to the island. But when others can no longer get there, Joe and friends set out to seek help beyond Britain’s shores.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                    • Thanks Julie. I agree that the second part is vague. It's so hard to communicate the reasons for leaving in so few words. On your version, a couple of things. (1) being a boy or a girl isn't against the law, as such, but it is an abnormality that is eliminated by terminating those foetuses that are detected with it and those who survive and are subsequently discovered are given 'corrective surgery'. (2) I'm avoiding using the word gender because what is different about Joe is his biological sex, not necessarily his gender. I don't want to be accused of confusing sex with gender.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                      • Yikes, sorry. we're treading delicate ground here. Ok keep the first sentence. The second is backstory though, and raises too many questions. Can we leave it out?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                        • So, to summarise my main plot in just a few sentences (but not just 280 characters), it begins with Joe arriving at a remote Scottish island where a community of male and female young people have established a community where they can be themselves, away from the neut British mainland. For a number of years, an underground organisation called DiG (Different is Good) has been saving 'abnormal' (biologically male & female, rather than neut) foetuses from termination but when the first of them hits puberty, they realise they can't keep them hidden within society anymore.

Joe's life on the island is good, although he's still a bit of an odd one out because, for various reasons there are about 30 girls but only 4 boys. But he settles in and makes friends. Then, on a stormy night, Joe and friend Cain are called on to go out in their boat (they've become the island's fishermen) to rescue a boatload of children whose boat is breaking up on the rocks. One child out of 14 survives, bringing with them a letter from DiG which reveals that the authorities are closing in on their operations.

From an ancient logbook, written by a scientist at the time of the virus which rendered the UK infertile (and led to the engineering of the first neut babies) about two centuries ago, Joe and friends believe, correctly, that beyond Britain's shores, life continues with male and female humans like them being the norm. So Joe, Cain and Nats set out on a journey back to the mainland and across neut Britain, aiming for Dover and then on to France.

The book ends with Joe, alone, reaching France (I won't go into detail, except to say that the other two are both still alive). I've just started writing book 2 which picks up the story.

Also, just to explain, there's a parallel narrative from the PoV of one of Joe's parents, Georgy, starting from the point at which they learn that their foetus needs to be terminated because of an unexplained abnormality. Georgy is briefly reunited with Joe in Dover before helping him to escape on a boat.

Anyone fancy having a go at putting that into 280 characters for me?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                        • In a dystopian future, Britian is infertile. All children are genetically engineered neutral. But Joe  bilogically born survives compulsive termination. He and others like him escape to an island but authorities are close on their scent. Can he find hope elsewhere?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                          • Nice 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                          • In a dystopian future, Britian is infertile. Children are genetically engineered . Joe  bilogically born hides with others like him on a scottish island. But with authorities close on their scent. Can he escape to France where he might be safe ?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                            • I like this version, I think it is succinct and tells me where we are, what is happening, and who are protagonist is (and antagonist = Authorities).

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                              • Thanks Caron. Really interesting to see someone else's summary of my plot, based on the information I've given. Just to clarify, I don't see Britain as 'infertile' in my dystopian future because they overcame their infertility through genetic engineering around 2 centuries in the past. Their past history of natural conception is now forgotten/erased, so as far as they are concerned, the way they have babies - using pregnancy pods at a fertility unit, donating some DNA to initiate the process - is normal. Joe was also conceived in this way. His parents (and several generations before them) have all been neut. The fact that he is male is a new, unexplained, genetic mutation - something that has started to sometimes happen when two people choose to have a baby together, using both their DNA, rather than the single genetic parent option.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                • Yes, although, as Julie suggested, Joe and his friends are actually pretty safe on the island. It's the fact that too many others have died trying to get there that drives them to leave in search of France.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                • Joe wished he'd been genetically engineered neutral like other children. But he was bilogically born and escaped termination. When he learns there are others like him he flees to be with them but authorities are on his trail. And they want to kill him.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                  • Hi Paul . I hope you can see the way to pitch this now ( just change the facts) from the examples Ive given 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                    • Of course but remember this is your hook to get them to look at your book. Id still say Britian is infertile as they are not using what we know today as to be normal. Good luck 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                      • I think Caron makes a good point there, Paul. We're all trying to simplify complexity into 280 characters. Detail and nuance have to be dropped in favour of a succinct summary that packs a punch, sells our ideas, framing them at their best.

I'm rubbish at this, btw, but it's been a great exercise in really identifying what the USP is in my ideas, what will want people to read on. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                        • Thanks Caron & Lynn. Great points made. Also, it's good to know we can tweet 3 different pitches on the day. I plan to make my three all quite different to put across different potential hooks. So I might start one of them with my 'What if being a boy or girl was something you had to hide?' but then start another with 'In a dystopian future...'

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                        • Another try. Perhaps you can patch something together. 

In a dystopian Britain children are genetically engineered in pods. All of them neutral sex. But Joe due to an unexpected mutation turns out male. He finds others on a scottish island. But with authorities close on their scent. Can he escape to France where he might be safe?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                          • How about this one:

In a dystopian Britain, being male or female means you're a mutant. Joe finds safety with others on a remote island. But with the authorities hunting them down, can Joe, Nats and Cain get to France to seek help?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                            • No because it raises the question why

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                              • Hi Joe, Your rewrite is good and the best choice. But the question beginning the first pitch grabs my attention the most (however the rest is confusing. I'm not sure if the foetus is Joe or he/she's carrying it.) What if you start with the question, then cut some text in the rewrite? Good luck! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                • So Sorry! I mean Hi PAUL!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                • In a dystopian Britain, being male or female means you aren't safe. Joe finds sanctuary with others on a remote island. But with the authorities hunting them down, Joe, Nats and Cain must get to France to seek help.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                  • OH YES!! This is awesome Caron!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                  • Or if you dont like safe.....

In a dystopian Britain, being male or female means you are hunted. Joe finds sanctuary with others on a remote island. But with the authorities on their trail, Joe, Nats and Cain must flee to France to seek help. #spf

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                    • That sounds iffy to me

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                      • I guess if you are entering a book you've self-published, the ads and reader comments would be welcome. With my entry, I've chosen visible to judges only.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                        • I thought that but it does have reputable people involved. Just a lot of ways for them to make extra money or if entrants

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                        • Thank you all. This is so useful. Heading out with the family now for some fresh air under the clear blue Cumbrian skies.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                          • Just as a note for all to think about. Why would you use time coming up with the best pitch then not use it three times. Surely its best to pitch your best not inferior ones. Heres some great advice IMO.

You’ve crafted three variations of your pitch, but DO NOT simply tweet out all three of those variations. One of those pitches is better than the other two. One of them is most likely to attract agent likes. You need to start with your best pitch. If it gets a like, KEEP USING IT. Post it again for your second tweet, though make sure to reorder the hashtags because if you tweet out the exact same tweet, Twitter will hide it.

If that first pitch doesn’t get any likes, move on to your next best pitch and go from there.

You’ll hear some people advising that you should use all three variations because they each might appeal in a different way. Ignore this advice. Remember that your pitch is going into a river of THOUSANDS of pitches. It’s quite possible no agent will see your pitch at all. The advice to use all your variations suggests that every agent is going to see every one of your pitches. This is incorrect.

Start with the best. If it works, keep using it. If it doesn’t work, move on to the next.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                            • This is amazing advice! I works never have thought I'd this Caron. And the hash tag thing too - genius

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                              • Fabulous, thanks Caron. This is really useful. I'm really happy with the one you guys helped me with, and I'm using it in my query letter, too, plus Page Turner, if I ever get through editing my final chapter today haha.  I don't know, I go off for an hour, and come back to 50 odd notifications haha.

Great advice, I will definitely be following. In fact... I think I will write and save the Tweet in my 'Sticky Notes' on my desktop, with re-ordered hashtags ready to copy and paste in :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                              • Hi everyone. I would love some feedback on my pitch. thanks! Catherine

Pitch 1

When Jenna discovers her husband, Greg, had known the secret she's been hiding, she struggles to tell him she's sorry. The problem is, he's dead. Afraid to be alone, she follows a stranger into the Scottish moors, and what she finds will change her life forever. #A

Pitch 2

Jenna is as meek as a sheep. She never breaks a rule or plan. Usually. She travels to Scotland for the hiking vacation her husband Greg planned, but he isn't going. He's dead. There, she discovers Greg knew her secret, and she's lost her chance to say she's sorry. #A

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                • As others have said, I like the idea, but maybe we need to know more. What's the secret? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                  • Hi Julie, Here's a summary and thanks for your feedback!:

The book opens in Austin, Texas, with the main character, Jenna returning to work after the death of her husband, Gregg. She receives an itinerary in an email for a hiking vacation in the Scottish Highlands that Gregg planned for them. She’s forgotten about it, and they’re scheduled to leave in two weeks. Jenna keeps her plans and brings her co-worker Marti; Gregg had warned her of the dangers of hiking alone. Jenna is depending on Marti to be by her side.

Although a professional in a high-tech company, Jenna is as meek as the sheep in Scotland, planning every aspect of her life and following every rule. She sticks to the plan Gregg had made for the self-guided hike by using the overstuffed binder of notes he’d left. On the hike, while going through his notes, Jenna discovers Gregg had known her secret. It devastates her. She’d broken the most important rule she promised never to break. What do you do when you’ve lost the chance to say you’re sorry? Marti offers to help. She has a plan. It would surely work if Jenna followed her advice. Jenna has learned, however, that she can never depend on Marti. When Marti ditches her for a man she's met on the hike, Jenna follows a stranger into the moors to continue the hike and Marti's plan, but will she find peace or will she find danger? What she finds will change her life forever.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                    • Hi Catherine! We've just created a group for pitches because this thread is getting so long, it's hard to follow. Would you mind copying and pasting this along with your pitches to the group?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                    • Jenna a widow never breaks rules. Never takes risks. But she decides to fulfill travel plans her late husband booked. Once there, she follows a stranger into the moors and discovers  her late husbsnd knew her darkest secret. What she  finds unravels her world. 

Just an intial idea 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                      • Thank you Caron! Great suggestion!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                      • Maybe start with summary and then the stakes - something like.....

Jenna didn't realise her dead husband knew her secret. Now it's too late to apologise, she's hiking with a stranger, and XYZ (something about her being in danger, or whatever the specific stakes are).

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                        • Thanks Alison, I like the ideas here! I'll rework! I appreciate it!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                          • How's this? Are the stakes apparent? 

Jenna discovers her dead husband knew her secret. She’s on a hiking trip he’d booked to apologize. But how? Abandoned by her friend, she follows a stranger into the moors. What she finds changes her life forever. #A

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                            • Hi Catherine. I intend to do Pitmad too on Thursday although haven't sorted my pitches yet! Anyway, from a stakes perspective, I'd want to know if the stranger is connected to her beign able to somehow apologise or something totally unrelated. I found the first part up to 'But how? really gripping.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                              • Hi Susan, Yes, the stranger is connected. Good point! I'll show this connection. Thank you for the feedback. VERY HELPFUL! I check back to comment if you post something. Good Luck!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                • Hi Catherine - can you give me your twitter handle and I'll follow for retweets. Thanks.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                  • Hi Alison, my twitter handle is @catheri57068816. I'm new to twitter, so any tips on RT would be helpful. Do you have everyone's handle in this thread who is pitching? Please share. Sorry if it's here already and I've missed it. I'll check now 😉. Otherwise, I follow you, search for and when I see your pitch, RT?

Thanks, Catherine

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                    • Sorry only just seen this and have been trying to keep up with throughout the day. I think I've followed everyone who's involved. Good luck. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                    • Wasn’t going to do this, then got inspired by all the posts @morjariahamish if you want to have a look - happy to retweet yours too

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                      • Congrats Hamish, amazing literary agency too! Good Luck

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                        • Amazing, Hamish! Huge congrats! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                          • Ah, do you know them? Any information gratefully received 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                          • What's happening on this front, folks. I didn't participate because I'm scared stiff of Twitter. Very interested in what you're all doing, though.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                            • Was one like and one DM both from NY based agents 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                              • Congratulations!!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                                • Brilliant. I saw the like in your pitch - just fabulous😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                                • Congratulations to those who got an agent or publisher like through , that's fantastic - especially when you consider how many tweets there were, something like 480,000 on the day!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                                  • Wow! Really that many? Though it kind of felt like that at times😂. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                                                  Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                                                                                                                                                  •  · 22 friends
                                                                                                                                                                                  48
                                                                                                                                                                                  44
                                                                                                                                                                                  1
                                                                                                                                                                                  1
                                                                                                                                                                                  1