Lynn Love

Bristol based writer of speculative fiction and women's fiction with professional short story and serial credits. Hoping for a traditional publishing contract. One Urban Fantasy out to agents and currently writing a supernatural mystery set in the early 1970s. Read my flash fiction at https://lynnmlovewords.wordpress.com/  

Relationships
Empty
My Forums
  •  · 
Hi everyone.Many of you REALLY helped a few weeks ago when I asked for feedback on submission chapte…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Congratulations Lynn. That's awesome.
  •  · 
Do any British writers out there have experience of writing for American markets?I'm based in the UK…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Lynn, I can't say I've had much success, 500 odd books sold on Amazon, but I didn't find too much tr…
  •  · 
Hi lovely Townhouse folk. A number of you were kind enough to give me some brilliant feedback last m…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I'm keenly interested in every experience I can find.  Thanks.
  •  · 
Yeah, I know. There's a lot of time between now and June 2021. We've all got a few small things to t…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi, I've signed up too after reading some very encouraging posts in other forums on here! I've done …
Hi all! Thought I'd share this for those of you - like me - who want to write scary stories.https://…
  •  · 
As the schools have been closed for such a long time over lock down, our neighbors kids have been ho…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I have the tennitus and have for quite a few years. What’s silence? I got background noise in a soun…
Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hi everyone.

Many of you REALLY helped a few weeks ago when I asked for feedback on submission chapters for an upcoming agent 1-2-1 https://community.jerichowriters.com/page/view-discussion?id=657 

Well, I've just this moment come off the Zoom call and it went better than I could have imagined! In fact, he apologised as he had no critical feedback to give me. Wow. Blown away.

A MASSIVE THANK YOU to all of you who gave me such brilliant feedback and helped those opening chapters shine. I'm so grateful - you guys have been amazing.

He liked it so much he's asked for a full manuscript read. Which is fabulous but also makes me feel a little sick.

I desperately need more guidance from you lovely people, because I have a nasty feeling the rest of the MS isn't as polished as that opening. Okay, yes, I thought it was before you all helped me, but now I'm not so sure. Which means another edit, which means time.

So, do I send the full MS, hoping the agents enthusiasm will help him overcome any issues? Or, do I take a couple of weeks to rewrite? 

I'll just say, he's given me his email but we've not talked timescales, he said things are going a bit slow and to definitely give him a nudge 'if anyone else shows interest'. 

Am I risking more by sending an MS that I'm concerned over or more by delaying?

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE - WHAT AN AMAZING COMMUNITY 

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Do any British writers out there have experience of writing for American markets?

I'm based in the UK and am lucky enough to regularly write for a British magazine and have won the odd small British writing competition. 

But I also write (mainly supernatural) fantasy and as most of the SFF markets are based in America, I've tried submitting to anthologies and comps over there without success. Now, I'm not sure whether I'm just out of luck (I'm not a really established SFF writer and there will always be better writers than me - rejection really is part of this game, I know). But I wonder too if there isn't a different style/expectation in the American publications that I'm just not getting. I am, I admit a very 'British' writer - my language, settings, references are mainly UK based, no US spellings etc. 

Anyone have experience of submitting to US markets? Do they identify more strongly with American stories and writing styles, to the extent that they will generally pick them over those from outside the US? 

I guess I'm so used to reading/watching US material, it's only slowly occurring to me that the cultural exchange might only be one way (Downton Abbey aside, of course 😀 ) Any thoughts welcome.

And any American writers who've found the same in reverse, please tell all :)

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hi lovely Townhouse folk. A number of you were kind enough to give me some brilliant feedback last month on the opening section of my contemporary fantasy novel.

Well, after following much of that advice, cutting flashbacks, trimming journeys, I'm back. The section has been edited though I'm sure I could cut more. I have to send it to the agent by the fifteenth, so it's really a case of giving it a once over, just to see how it reads.

I'd be most grateful to anyone who read before and who has the chance to read again, as you'll know if it's improved, but thanks to anyone who has the time.

Ta again x

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Yeah, I know. There's a lot of time between now and June 2021. 

We've all got a few small things to tackle first - presidential elections, Brexit, Christmas and the not small issue of a global pandemic. But I'm trying to motivate myself, give myself something amazing to look forward to and a deadline to work towards.

I'm eyeing up June 2021 enrolment for the Self-Edit course and wondered if any of you are signed up or are thinking of doing it.

(I know many of you have done it already/are doing it now - which is why you're all so good!) 

Sounds damned amazing :)

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hi all! Thought I'd share this for those of you - like me - who want to write scary stories.

https://www.iaminprint.co.uk/how-to-write-spooky-fiction-day/

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

As the schools have been closed for such a long time over lock down, our neighbors kids have been home A LOT more than usual.

Four primary school age kids, fine weather and a giant trampoline make for a very unsettling writing environment.

In desperation, I turned to my headphones. Now, I can't listen to music as I write - nothing with lyrics at least - but I have been trolling YouTube, finding ambient sounds. 

The storms, rain and sea sounds are great, white noise, but my favourite? The soundscapes. 

I can be writing a Jack the Ripper story and be listening to Victorian Street sounds, complete with passing carriages and swearing drunks. Write a story set on a sailing ship, there's an ambient sound with creaking beams and waves crashing.

Helps me block out the screaming from next door and creates the right mood too.

What's your sound of choice? Or is silence your friend?

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hi all. 

Been building up the courage to do this for weeks, so here goes.

These are the opening two chapters of a contemporary fantasy I've been sending out to agents. I've had some nice feedback and a full request so far but no offers of representation. I now have an online 1 to 1 set up with an agent for next month, so any advice on what to improve would be greatly received.

Many thanks, 

Lynn

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hi all.

Some advice, please, from you lovely people, especially those with submission/agent experience.

I've been subbing my novel for a year and here are the stats.

Submitted to 11 agents of which -

9 no replies or form rejections

1 personalised rejection with helpful feedback (said the writing was good)

1 full request (personalised rejection with helpful feedback)

Also -

subbed to one indie publisher (personalised rejection praising the writing)

And had the opening critiqued as a competition prize for Writing Magazine (feedback glowing)

And submission package given good feedback in a Twitter competition.

My question is this - what do I do next?

My query letter was critiqued by one of the agents I submitted to, so I think that's okay. The book may have something from the feedback I've received but do I sub a bit more or try for more peer feedback or ditch the thing and focus on the new book? Was going to enroll in the self edit course for next March, but can't afford a manuscript assessment too.

Please help me decide what to do! So confused with this nearly/almost thing I've created 😀

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on second drafts. 

I've written four (unpublished) novels now and my system (if you can call it that) has been to take the first draft and go through amending it, moving paragraphs, rephrasing... Basically reworking the text I have already created in draft one.

However, I'm trying to improve my working habits (proper research this time, worked through Harry's Novel Writing Video course, character profiles, plotting, the works) and I Goggled advice on a second draft and found an intriguing suggestion.

The author in question said she has the first draft file open but she only uses it as a reference as she completely rewrites in a new document. This gives you more freedom, she says, to take the best of the old while introducing new ideas without feeling constricted or bogged down by the original structure/sentences etc.

Does anyone out there use this approach and how did they find it? It sounds good but a lot of work.

Any advice or opinions would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks x

Lynn Love
 added a forum 

Hello lovely writerly people. Hope you're all coping with lock down in whatever form it's taking in your part of the world.

Are you managing to write? I'm finding it tricky. I can manage flash fiction and not much else. However, I've opened some files this afternoon concerning my WIP. And here's where my question lies.

I've been knocking this idea around for a while. I've gone through the JW 100 question character profiles, I've done the basic plotting sheet. I've read around the period ( the Three Day Week in early 1974). I have a good idea of what's going to happen, though some gaps are there, just to give my imagination space. I know my ending, my themes, arcs are in place. I've been trying to hone my prose to make it succinct and specific  (yes I've used a lot of Jericho resources as prep). And yet ...

When it comes to actual writing, I'm nervous. It's like I'm to scared to begin. I've made a hash of things before, I'm trying not to this time. So I'm undoubtedly scared of failure, of getting things wrong and finding myself with another manuscript I can't get an agent interested in.

Any of you felt the same way about a project? What did you do to get over this hump? When do you know you've done enough prep and it's time to actually write? Any advice/sympathy greatly received.

Keep well all

Lynn Love
 added a post 

Hi, I'm based in Bristol, UK, and mainly write creepy fantasy and women's fiction and sometimes fantasy fiction about creepy women but never NEVER creepy fiction about fantasy women.

I've been published online, in magazines, won a few competitions, lost a lot more. I've written four novels so far - a supernatural mystery that's out to agents at the moment (four form rejections, two personalised lovely ones and counting), a YA time slip (roundly rejected by all who read it) and one middle grade fantasy and a murder mystery that never made it off the hard drive. I'm about to embark on a supernatural mystery set in a rundown coastal town in the early 1970s. 

Do pop along and say hi if you like Sarah Waters, Neil Gaiman, Susan Hill, Margaret Atwood, Hilary Mantel, David Mitchell, Susan Cooper, Michelle Paver... You get the idea. Looking forward to chat about all things book.

Lynn Love
 changed a profile picture