Lynn Love

Bristol based writer of speculative fiction and women's fiction with professional short story and serial credits. Hoping for a traditional publishing contract. One Urban Fantasy out to agents and currently writing a supernatural mystery set in the early 1970s. Read my flash fiction at https://lynnmlovewords.wordpress.com/  

Relationships
Empty
Lynn Love Discussions
  •  · 
Hi all. This is for literary writers based in the UK. In the words taken from the website -'We would…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Oooh thanks for the heads up. I may have to give it a go. I've got myriad short stories I've done bu…
  •  · 
Hi all,Thought people might find this interesting, especially anyone thinking of self publishing. An…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks Lynn, I will do.
  •  · 
Just wanted to wish all here a very Happy New Year.2020 has been a pain in the backside for most of …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Brilliant stuff! 
  •  · 
Hello all.I've just had a short story published in an anthology inspired by Dante's Inferno. My stor…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · 😇
  •  · 
A few months back I was invited to submit a short story to an anthology on the theme of Dante's Infe…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Great stuff, Lynn 😀Really interesting interview, and well done for the latest publishing achievement…
  •  · 
Hi everyone.Many of you REALLY helped a few weeks ago when I asked for feedback on submission chapte…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you so much 😄

Haha! The joy of swipe text! You're right, though, Georgina - so appropriate for me😂

Hi James  This 'hybrid' tag has really muddied the waters because I've seen the odd publisher that falls under this umbrella talked of positively in the writing press which just makes negotiating these waters all the more complicated for the debut author.

In this case, Rick had it spot on. A quick Google search will tell you they're a sister company to Austin Macaulay, renowned vanity publisher. I found an article you may be interested in  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/writersdisease.net/2015/09/16/olympia-publishers-and-the-art-of-the-soft-scam/amp/

The article is a few years old, though. The thing is, these companies often do what they say, but it's self pub masquerading as something closer to trad and you can get a better service for your money with a good self pub company.

Tell them to sound their hook ☺️

Added a comment to 121 Anxiety 

Oh, so sorry, Sue. Really disappointing when you hear yourself up for something and it falls through. Do let us know how you get on

Magazines still use double, I think, novels single, though I'm guessing if you're book is produced in the UK but going to be sold widely in the US, maybe they'd use double?

Just done the self edit course, Georgina, and they said single speech mark is standard now in the UK, double in the US. Saying that, that's in novels - I've been published in a women's mag quite a lot and they all for double as standard

Absolutely fantastic course and I'm feeling a tiny bit heart broken it's over.

So glad we did this together, Andrew! I'm not surprised you feel confident - your writing was good at the start but terrific by the end. If we don't see your unique book in print at some point I'll be flabbergasted.

Though I'll never look at school desks in the same way again😂

I would recommend it to anyone

I remember you recommending it Kate. It was terrific and Debi is the legend everyone says she is

Ah. Trying to break them out of captivity, you mean? A simian Great Escape? Now, I like that idea 😁 

Hmm. Maybe it is. But perhaps that's driven by editors rather than the market. Children do - and I'm sure always will - love animals. Besides, if the book is good enough - and I know it will be - it will sell. Keep the faith and keep writing

Ugh! Well, isn't that the truth, about reading between the lines? I'd say she has a duty to say if she feels she can't sell animal stories. And besides, that really doesn't sound possible - kids love animal stories! Always have. Apart from my son who on trips to the zoo always preferred fiddling with the door mechanisms to looking at the monkeys. But I think he's just odd 😂 

Aw, thank you. Yes, the second novel. Lots of work to do yet, but hopeful.

TBH, I'm trying to get my head around an agent for kid's books who doesn't like animal stories - not sure how that works 😂 

Anyway, at least she had plenty of positive things to say. Jericho's advice is sound, you're right. Unless you're HUGELY confident that your ms is the best it can be, has been through tons of editorial feedback etc and you want to save time and just inundate as many agents as poss with it. I kind of sympathise with this view - some agents are taking soooooo long to get back to people, you feel like you could easily waste years subbing one book!

Onward and upward, Julie. It's all positive, you're right. Good luck with the next batch of subs  

I'm sure it will be much, much better than that, Sarita! Fingers crossed and lets us know how it goes

Info
Full Name:
Lynn Love
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard