Holly Seddon

I'm the Community Manager for the Jericho Writers community. I'm also a bestselling author and I co-host a podcast called The Honest Authors. My latest book The Wanted will be published by Trapeze/Orion in early 2021.

Relationships
Empty
My Forums
  •  · 
Hi everyone,One of the reasons we chose to build this community on this platform, is because it's ve…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Holly. Thanks for this. Have just changed everything. I suddenly seem to be able to move around t…
  •  · 
Welcome to the Jericho Writers Community, we hope you’ll really enjoy your time here. In case you’re…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Paul, welcome to the community! I see that you've uploaded some files to your profile, which is g…
  •  · 
Hi everyone, last month I told you that I'd taken some time off in May and blitzed through and got t…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I've got two strong ideas for a second novel, and I'm going to use the plotting and character worksh…
  •  · 
I know it's only Tuesday but I'm finding it really hard to write this week. Yesterday I managed only…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I have been quite depressed in this lockdown, so I have been trying new music and giving myself a he…
  •  · 
A little bit late for some reason (*did anyone miss that we're putting on a BRILLIANT three month fe…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · My goal for June is to immerse myself in the Festival, learn as much as possible and to enter Friday…
  •  · 
Hi everyone,Hopefully the community it working smoothly for you and you're enjoying your time here. …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Holly, hoping you're still taking notes to add to that list.This one is rather technical, as it invo…

Hi everyone, last month I told you that I'd taken some time off in May and blitzed through and got to 42k words. So it may surprise you that a month later I'm at... 46k. BUT that's because those blitzed words were quick and dirty and they took a lot of wrangling and editing. So the 46k that I have now is a much better, richer, less typo-strewn chunk than the 42k I had last month. 

I still need to pull my finger out though as I'm hurtling towards my deadline. 😣 

This has been such a bitty stop-start book, but it's finally taking shape. So my goal for the end of July is to get to 60k decent-ish words. That way, I can hopefully get to the finish line at the end of August, just in time for my fourth book to be released in ebook. 

Then all the editing will start! Busy summer...

What about you? How did you do with your June goals and what are your plans for this next month? 

Holly 

Connect with some of the biggest names in global publishing plus a thousand other writers at the Summer Festival of Writing – now with up to a third off ticket prices!

Latecomer tickets now available

Whatever your writing goals this summer, this Festival gives you the opportunity to learn the craft of writing and editing direct from top tutors – as well as connect with indie experts and literary agents, too.

Join us live for July, August and September and catch up on all events via replay.

GET YOUR LATECOMER TICKET NOW

Don't miss another word. Top July picks... 

Self-Edit your novel mini-course, with Debi Alper
This unmissable mini-course will cover the fundamentals of editing your work with superstar editor, Debi Alper.

From Sub to Pub, with Robin Stevens and Non Pratt
Two bestselling children’s writers reveal to process of getting published.

How to Adapt a Novel into a Screenplay, with Cal Moriarty
Join an award-winning screenwriter for this exciting workshop

In-Conversation with Amazon Publishing
Connect with two senior fiction editors from the publishing arm of Amazon in this special live event.

SEE FULL EVENT LINE UP

Get up to 50% off the cost of a Latecomer ticket

Are you a member of Jericho Writers? Get a huge 50% off the price of your Latecomer ticket, automatically deducted when you log in.

We’re also offering those of you who are subscribed to our emails a special discount using coupon code jw-friends at the checkout (or, jw-friends-4 to pay in instalments).

This Festival currently has one-thousand writers joining from all seven continents around the world – including Antartica! Don’t miss one more word - get your ticket now.

- The Summer Festival of Writing Team

We wanted to create the ultimate novel writing course. A course that contains all the traditional tutoring of a professional MA, but super-charged with mentoring; events and genuine opportunities to get work published.

Starts: 1 October 2020 

Duration: One year

FIND OUT MORE

This professional vocational course is for writers who are serious about writing a viable book in their genre. 
You'll work closely with four expert tutors to develop your idea into a publishable manuscript, then receive help and opportunities to get your novel published – traditionally or independently.

Meet your tutors

Apply for the course with an idea for a new novel, or a rough first draft you’re willing to work on.
Your one-to-one mentor and tutors will guide you through the writing and editing process step-by-step, before personally introducing you to top literary agents and indie experts at the end of the course.

Find out more

Monthly one-to-ones; two life-changing events; a full manuscript assessment.
No other course in the world offers this level of professional tutoring, feedback and industry-based opportunity. Applications are now open. To find out more and apply, please download the course prospectus below.

Download the full prospectus

If you'd like to speak to us about the course before applying, we'd love to hear from you. You can phone us on +44 (0) 345 459 9560* or email info@jerichowriters.com.

Our very own Laure Van Rensburg (L.) is in The Bookseller today as her debut novel, The Downfall has been acquired in by Michael Joseph after a six-way auction. 

From The Bookseller:

Editorial director Clio Cornish acquired UK and Commonwealth rights from Juliet Mushens at Mushens Entertainment. North American rights were sold at auction to Wes Miller at GCP by Jenny Bent on behalf of Mushens. German, Norwegian and Italian pre-empts were concluded even before the English language rights were sold and the novel sold at auction in Brazil, Finland, France and Holland.

In The Downfall, "Ellie – a young, inexperienced student – is preparing for a romantic weekend away with Steven, an older, charismatic teacher. Excited to get to know one another better away from prying eyes, they escape to a remote cabin. But when a snowstorm strands them it becomes apparent that they both have dark secrets – and that only one of them will escape the weekend alive."

The book will be a "major" launch for Michael Joseph, publishing in hardback, e-book and audio in early 2022, with a paperback to follow.

Huge congratulations from everyone at Jericho Writers, L! 

Hi, Holly. I'm excited to see how these 3 months unfold. I want to have my YA/adult historical fantasy finished (again) by year's end. Thank you for befriending me. I know that I'll learn a lot. I've had a couple of glitches trying to log in with my info that I'm told is incorrect when it is. Also, I've only been able to see Philippa's replay, so far. I've emailed for advice and hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks.

Elizabeth Sale

Hi Holly. A few days ago I made a request to join the Crime, Mystery Thriller Group. I know you have been very busy but I don't seem to have been accepted yet. Or have I done something wrong?

Great Q&A forum this afternoon! I'm going to check out your podcast. Philippa East also recommended it yesterday on her webinar. Thank you for all you do!

I know it's only Tuesday but I'm finding it really hard to write this week. Yesterday I managed only a few hundred words, today I've tinkered, faffed and written sludge. I'm on a tight deadline, so I can't be wallowing in this mire for too long. I feel quite exhausted at the thought of all the other words I need to write! I don't normally feel like this, and I know it's due to the times we're living in. I also know it's a privilege that I get to do this and have my work published. But is anyone else struggling and what are you doing (if anything!) to dig yourself out of it? 

A little bit late for some reason (*did anyone miss that we're putting on a BRILLIANT three month festival at the moment!*) but I'd love to know what your writing goals are for June? 

I was lucky enough to take off a week in late May, my husband took care of the kids by himself most of the time and I bumped by work in progress up from 9,000 words to 30,000. I came back to work more tired than when I left but very pleased to have got a solid lump of clay on my potter's wheel. I know it will need a lot of editing, but I do feel like the story is working now. Since then I've got it to 42,000 words. And while I don't really like word count challenges and the like, I am on a deadline and I do need to finish this damn thing within the next couple of months. 

Of course, by finish, I mean finish this draft.... there are a lot more 'finishes' to come.

How about you? 

Joining our Townhouse community is easy and free. Just follow these steps...

• Go to community.jerichowriters.com (this will open in a new window so you can continue to follow this guide) – this is a different platform to our main Jericho Writers website so you will need a separate log in to the one you use to access the festival. 
  • Click on ‘Join us’.

A picture containing person, indoor, table, food

Description automatically generated

• Complete the information on the Sign up page making sure you correctly type your email address and choose a password that is easy for you to remember but not easy for anyone else to guess. On this page you can also see the Terms of Service and the Privacy Policy.

A screenshot of a social media post

• Click ‘Submit’.
  • Check your email now for a ‘confirmation letter’ and click on the link provided. 

• You can now edit your profile by clicking on the name in the top right corner of the community. 

A picture containing screenshot, computer

• Choose ‘Profile’ and then you can click ‘Edit Cover’ to upload a photo to the top of your profile page, and ‘Edit Profile’ to add a photo of yourself and a description so other community members can get to know you. 

A screenshot of a cell phone

• When you’re happy with your profile, don’t forget to visit the Groups page and join the Summer Festival of Writing group

Hi everyone,

Hopefully the community it working smoothly for you and you're enjoying your time here. A while ago we had some errors with the main notification system which have now been fixed, but I know some people have reported not receiving group notifications. I'm pulling together a list of quirks and potential errors to be looked at by the techies. If you've noticed a glitch or have an issue, please let me know here so I can put as many on my list in one go as possible! Or feel free to email them to me on holly@jerichowriters.com.

Hi everyone,

One of the reasons we chose to build this community on this platform, is because it's very customisable and community members have lots of options for how they receive updates and notifications. 

I thought it might be useful to share a quick guide on how to check or change the notifications you receive by email or on the community. 

Firstly, click on your name in the top right corner to bring down this menu:

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=105&dpx=2&t=1588603701

From there, choose 'Settings'

You should then see this screen:

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=107&dpx=2&t=1588603803

You can choose whether to receive 'site updates'. If you select to receive 'Site updates' you will then receive email notifications. You can choose which ones on the next step! You may need to put your password in again to confirm this change. 

There is the option to receive community newsletters, which we don't currently send out. If this is something you'd like us to send, do let me know. 

So, next up click on 'Notifications', which should see this screen:

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=108&dpx=2&t=1588604085

Here you can choose which notifications you'd like to receive, and as you can see, you get a lot of options! 

'On Site' are the notifications you receive here, and that are accessed by clicking the little bell icon in the top right:

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=109&dpx=2&t=1588604181

'Email' are the notifications that you receive by email, and if you tick everything there, you will receive quite a few so you may wish to play around and see what works for you. 

NB. Push notifications are not currently used. 

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions about this or any element of the community.

Info
Full Name:
Holly Seddon
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Administrator
My Posts