Holly Seddon | Head of Community | Jericho Writers

I'm Head of Community for Jericho Writers. I'm also a bestselling author and I co-host a podcast called The Honest Authors. My latest book The Hit List was published by Trapeze/Orion on 28/8/2020 (ebook and audiobook) and will be out in paperback in April 2021.

Relationships
Empty
My Forums
  •  · 
Hi everyone,One of the reasons we chose to build this community on this platform, is because it's ve…
  •  · 
Welcome to the Jericho Writers Community, we hope you’ll really enjoy your time here. In case you’re…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hello Taliba and Jay! 
  •  · 
For those of you who celebrate Christmas, what are you all hoping for in your stocking? I'd love to …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I have what I hope is a non-boring suggestion for a gift to give yourself or another writer: a jigsa…
  •  · 
Hi everyone, I feel like I say this every month but I can't believe we're in December already!&…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Goals for December: - Finish edits on a good query letter to resume querying. - Finish essays for po…
  •  · 
Hi everyone, we had such a lovely thread last month on 'good writing news' that I thought I'd make i…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Lynn, I just read your lovely story in TPF and really enjoyed it. In fact I liked it so much I we…
  •  · 
Hi everyone, We have a few one to one sessions still available with agents. These sell out real…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Holly, I'm interested in a one-to one, but not sure if my 72k words are 'polished' enough yet, ty…

For those of you who celebrate Christmas, what are you all hoping for in your stocking? I'd love to know what writery gifts you're planning to buy or hoping to receive. If we get enough good suggestions, I might turn this into a blog post! 

I'm hoping to get some nice notepads and some vouchers to buy books. I'd love to get a night or two in the Gladstone Library as well, but sadly Covid has ruled that out for now. What about you? 

Hi everyone, 

I feel like I say this every month but I can't believe we're in December already! 

Don't forget we're doing a little festive webchat on 10th December (https://community.jerichowriters.com/page/view-event-profile?id=18) - a mix of Christmas drinks, a Q&A and a celebration to have made it to the end of this BONKERS year. 

But anyway, December... This month, I have my edits to finish on book five. I received feedback from my editor a couple of weeks ago and we talked her notes through on a Zoom call (which was really helpful) and brainstormed solutions to things that we're quite right. Now I'm steadily working through and trying not to go off on a tangent that will take me past my Christmas deadline! I'd like to get the new version over to her by the time my kids break up for the December holiday. It'll be the first time I've not worked over Christmas since I was pregnant with my youngest who is nearly six! 

I also finished my outline for book 6 AND a non-fiction proposal so those are with my agent now. I can't say anything more about that but I'll update you as soon as I can as I'm very excited!  

How did you all get on with your November goals? And what are your plans for December?

Hi everyone, we had such a lovely thread last month on 'good writing news' that I thought I'd make it a monthly thing! Please share any good news you've had - big or small, it's so lovely to hear in and of itself but its also really inspiring to other community members when they're feeling in a slump! 

Really enjoyed the self-edit webinar on the 19th, especially when I hear my little section was to be included. Sadly, Harry ran out of time and said he'd email me a response, but it has occurred to me that he probably doesn't have my email address easily available. 

Nice to meet you Holly. And thank you for the friend request.
Hi everyone, 

We have a few one to one sessions still available with agents. These sell out really quickly and are so popular, so if you are interested I'd jump in quick! 

https://members.jerichowriters.com/bazaar/agent-one-to-one-sessions/

These sessions are running throughout November.

Hi everyone, 

We have a few one to one sessions still available with agents. These sell out really quickly and are so popular, so if you are interested I'd jump in quick! 

https://members.jerichowriters.com/bazaar/agent-one-to-one-sessions/

These sessions are running throughout November.

There has been some lovely community news recently such as Jimmy and CatMori who told us they have both had short stories published, and a little while back L. shared news of her book deal. I'm sure I've forgotten some too, so please add them below! It's inspiring for community members to see these successes, and it's important to celebrate them when they happen as so much of our time is spent waiting for good news! Please tell us your good news, however big or small, below... 

We have an exciting special offer just for community members. From now until Friday 18th December, you can get 10% off any editorial service

Perhaps you’re nearing the end of a first draft and need some objective eyes on it? Or are you ready to submit to agents and interested in our submission pack review to give you the best chance? If you’re doing NaNoWriMo this year, we’ve left the expiry date late enough so you can finish November, have an edit and then send it for assessment. 

What editorial services do we offer? 

• Manuscript assessment
  • Children’s manuscript assessment
  • Agent submission pack review
  • Opening section review
  • Picture book assessment
  • Screenplay and script coverage services
  • Copy-editing services

To see the full range of editorial services in detail and to book, visit: https://jerichowriters.com/editors-room/ 

To get 10% off, use the code: Townhouse-flash-editorial-discount

November?! But yes, what are your writing goals for this next month? For those of you in the UK, does the prospect of lockdown feel like a hinderance to writing or do you feel more equipped than last time? Here in the Netherlands we're waiting to hear (tomorrow most likely) if we're to go back into a lockdown as cases are rising. If the schools stay open like in the UK, I don't think it will effect my writing or work detrimentally but if I have all the kids here, that's a different story. 

Anyway, I have quite an exciting but busy month. I am due to get my editor's notes back on book 5 so that will become my focus. Before that though I'm working on my outline for book 6 and I'm very excited about it - although it will be a head popper for sure. Lots of timelines, lots of twists, an a very unique structure. And I'm also still working on a non-fiction proposal. I just sent the first draft to my agent but I've never done one before so I expect it's very rough.

So what about you all? And how did you do with your October goals? 

For all our community members taking part in NaNoWriMo this year, plus anyone curious! Share your progress, hopes, challenges and rally each other on! 

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, but is now a global movement. On the NaNoWriMo website, it is summed up nicely:

"National Novel Writing Month began in 1999 as a daunting but straightforward challenge: to write 50,000 words of a novel in thirty days. Now, each year on November 1, hundreds of thousands of people around the world begin to write, determined to end the month with 50,000 words of a brand new novel. They enter the month as elementary school teachers, mechanics, or stay-at-home parents. They leave novelists."

For more information, see https://nanowrimo.org.

Image courtesy of National Novel Writing Month.

Today we have a guest post from Louise Lloyd, Publishing Director at Kvoice Magazine. Louise is looking for submissions for her local magazine which was launched during lockdown and is growing fast.

Encouragement

Nine-tenths of learning to write is encouragement. Okay, I admit to tweaking the original 'Nine-tenths of education is encouragement'. But I hope you'll stay with me as I make an observation indicating truth in the opening sentence.

In my background, I am reasonably well practised in the art of experimentation, as born out by my sun-faded but still discernibly rippled-green A-Level certificates in Physics and Chemistry. When I sat those papers, ages ago, my secondary school required our cohort of sixth-form scientists to take a further examination entitled 'Use of English'. The fear was that the nation might otherwise produce illiterate boffins: teenagers perfectly honed to differentiate a lazy atom of argon from a magnificent molecule of potassium permanganate, but at sea when faced with an oxymoron or a gerund. The latter unfathomable if not capable of being dissolved in a test-tube. That third examination had a purpose. It was there to head off those of us wearing goggles and white coats being unable to explain to the public the purpose of the mysterious experiments we would undertake in later life from behind the protected doors of our secret laboratories. 

Experimentation

Years later, at the beginning of lockdown in March 2020, it came into my mind that those teetering with the idea of creative writing, including those of us attempting yet another restart, would soon face abundant opportunity to get underway while simultaneously isolating at home.  Instinctively, I turned to my old friend experimentation. I tested out an idea aimed at encouraging myself and all other teeterers to have a go.  Here's what I did, and what I discovered.

From my writing laboratory at home, I distilled an email using an electronic device. I despatched my message individually to several of my fellow villagers in Oxfordshire who had similar equipment. I invited my neighbours to return a piece of creative writing on any subject of their choice. I would then gather and distribute the compilation privately back to all who took up the challenge.  In other words, I said to my friends: write one and get twenty back, and let's see what happens.

Well. Quite a lot happened. Experienced writers wrote about Venus and the orbits of the planets, about poetry and crisis, about the history of pandemics. New writers wrote about honey bees, about their grandfather's war, about a recent sighting of a stork in flight over the village, at least they thought it might have been a stork. Then something quite interesting occurred. Some new writers contacted their companions to report they had recently taken up creative writing. L'encouragement began to spread. Well-considered words and curiosity began to travel on the fibres of our local neighbourhood. The seed to test encouragement for writing appeared to be producing some observable outcomes. People were starting to write articles and, interestingly, to say they had done so.

So, what happened next?

Well, we published the set big time, online and in hardcopy print. But not just any-old print. We pushed out the boat to celebrate and produced a posh, self-published, typeset, print-on-demand, high-quality A4 glossy paperback magazine of 54 pages in full colour and sold each copy for £10.00 to loads of other villagers. We were soon on our second impression following a fabulous first.  More than this, the test had encouraged many more local villagers to have a go too.  

I mean, imagine your first ever article included in such a prestigious anthology with your opening paragraph styled with an enlarged dropped capital, a serif no less. 

As I write, I am presently preparing the groundwork for our printed edition due later in 2021 but with most of its content published online beforehand.  Now.  Here's where you come in dear reader.  For our 2021 printed edition, we are opening our village door to the world.  Anyone who is a member of our planet may submit an article on a subject of their choice. As Spike Milligan once reminded us, everyone must be somewhere; and after all, today's is an evermore local and optimistically neighbourly world n'est pas?

How to contribute

In conclusion now, dear writer, please send your draft article to me, Louise Lloyd, Publishing Director, KVoice Magazine, louise.lloyd@kvoice.co.uk. And should your piece encourage others to do the same, perhaps for their very first time, then that's ticketyboo too. Thank you. Let's see what happens. 

Louise Lloyd,  Publishing Director at Kvoice Magazine

Info
Full Name:
Holly Seddon | Head of Community | Jericho Writers
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Administrator
My Files
My Posts
My Polls

Private