Holly Seddon | Head of Community | Jericho Writers

I'm Head of Community for Jericho Writers. I'm also a bestselling author and I co-host a podcast called The Honest Authors. My latest book The Hit List was published by Trapeze/Orion on 28/8/2020 (ebook and audiobook) and will be out in paperback in April 2021.

Relationships
Empty
Holly Seddon | Head of Community | Jericho Writers Discussions
  •  · 
Hi everyone,One of the reasons we chose to build this community on this platform, is because it's ve…
  •  · 
Welcome to the Jericho Writers Community, we hope you’ll really enjoy your time here. In case you’re…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Like Kristy, I am just finding my way around this community of amazing people. But hello! 😀 
  •  · 
Who has something coming out this month? It can be a novel, non-fiction book, short story, flash fic…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · This is a  from a book of 40 poems self published on Amazon,  by a fellow writer and I, in December …
  •  · 
Right everyone, let's keep each other on point. What's your word count goal for this month? Share yo…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Yes, I keep everything, because you never know when you're going to need something, which also expla…
  •  · 
Hi everyone!I'm back from my week off (more about that in a min) and catching up with the community …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Long belated congratulations on your book deal, L. Love your writing - you're very generous sharing …
Hi everyone,This was kindly shared by Kerry Clark who spotted that Writers Digest has open submissio…
Added a forum 

Who has something coming out this month? It can be a novel, non-fiction book, short story, flash fiction, poem, essay... whatever! But share below and let us all celebrate (and hopefully read it). 

Added a group 

Share your elevator pitches, give and receive feedback from your fellow community members and, when possible, the Jericho Writers team. 

Added a forum 

Right everyone, let's keep each other on point. What's your word count goal for this month? Share your number below and we'll check in at the end!

Mine is 15k... 

Added a forum 

Hi everyone!

I'm back from my week off (more about that in a min) and catching up with the community activity. If there's anything urgent you need to ask me or point me in the direction of, do drop me an email (h.seddon@jerichowriters.com) or DM me on here. 

So... February. How did yours go? 

I said I wanted to finish the edits on book 5 (still provisionally called The Deal!) by 21st February and I sent them back just before that. Now I need to see if my editor thinks it's ready for copy-editing or if I need one more go at the meatier changes (plot, character, backstory). I really hope not but we'll see... I do trust that if she says more is needed, then more is needed. 

I also took off last week to work on book 6. When I booked the time off, I thought I'd have agreed the next book by now but for various reasons (lockdown slowdown, the edits on book 5 etc) I haven't finalised it. So I chose to work on it anyway, in the hope that it WILL be approved and I've not just wasted a load of time. GULP. From Monday to Friday I wrote 10k, and I'm quite pleased with it. To try to mitigate for this, I made sure that I spent the week doing lots of other nice things too, lots of reading, walking and running. But I'll be honest, I'll be GUTTED if this idea isn't approved as I'm totally in love with it. 

So for March...

- Any residual editing on book 5

- Waiting to hear if book 6 is approved, and if it is... carrying on with it!

- I'm also going on submission with my non-fiction idea, and it's a long time since I've been on submission and never for non-fiction so it's terrifying and exciting!

How about you?! 

Added a post 

At Jericho Writers, we believe that every writer should have access to the best advice, tools and opportunities to take their writing further.

That’s why we’re teaming up with top partners to offer a series of opportunities for under-represented writers throughout the year. These are:

One fully-funded place on the phenomenally popular Self Edit Your Novel course

This magnificent six week course boasts an impressive 1 in 4 publication rate (of traditionally and independently publishing authors) and is the most popular course we offer – for good reason. In collaboration with tutors Debi Alper and Emma Darwin, we’re holding back one place on every course in 2021 for a brilliant under-represented writer. 

Find out more about the course

Free annual membership to Jericho Writers for runners up

Those who submit their application for the fully-funded place on the ‘Self-Edit Your Novel’ course will automatically be reviewed to receive a free, annual membership to Jericho Writers. This includes access to all our video courses, Features, Masterclasses, AgentMatch tools, Webinars and more. At least three memberships will be awarded every quarter.

Find out more about eligibility and how to apply here: https://jerichowriters.com/bursary-opportunities/ 

Added a post 

The Page Turner Awards, sponsored by ProWritingAid, have launched and many of the categories will be of interest to our community members. 

Prizes including publishing contracts, audio-book productions and film rights options are up for grabs for the winners.

Success stories from last year’s awards include three writers winning literary representation, six writers winning a writing mentorship, five writers winning a publishing contract and thirteen independent authors winning an audiobook production.

The Page Turner Awards consists of five different awards:

The Book Award, which is open to any published books, whether traditionally published or self-published.

The Writing Award, which is open to all unpublished and completed manuscripts.

The Screenplay Award, which is open to all completed scripts and screenplays.

The Young Writer Award, which is open to any writer aged between 18 and 25.

The Writing Mentorship Award, which is open to any writer with an unpublished and uncompleted manuscript.

Over the summer, a panel of literary agents and publishers, including Paul Michael Glaser of Starsky and Hutch fame, will choose a winner in each category based on the first ten pages of your manuscript. The winners of these incredible prizes will be announced in September. You won’t want to miss this opportunity! 

You can get £10 off of the standard entry fee on all entries before February 28th. Entries after that are £30. Enter at https://pageturnerawards.com/

Don't forget to check out other competitions and opportunities on our Writing Competitions group

In regard to copyright infringement and royalties for the use of song lyrics, I tossed all the lyrics from from book and just wrote six songs for replacement. If I can write a MC, why not try lyrics. I think I am in the wrong profession, my lyrics are darn good. In some of my scenes, there is music in the background and the lyrics speak volumes of what is occuring in the room.

Novice here, first time undertaking the world of writing. i have seen much online about the length for first writer novel. What is the accept word count? Thank, Cluelesss and very wordy

Dear Holly, et al,

Hi!  I have trouble with writing an Outline!

Do you have any suggestions/courses/etc to point me towards Outlining help?

Specifically to do this:

1.  Outline the whole Story with the beginning, middle, end structure (Aristotle?)

2.  Outline to include Characters, Plot, Theme (if any), Settings, and perhaps the Weather (?)

Many thanks,

Chris.

P.S.  The pic is of Gemma Atherton as Gretel.  Have no idea who the bloke is.  just joking!  Happy new year !

Info
Full Name:
Holly Seddon | Head of Community | Jericho Writers
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Administrator
My Posts
Holly Seddon | Head of Community | Jericho Writers Polls

Private

Not logged in users can't 'View Poll'.

Private