KarVal

After dealing in vintage fashion & textiles for several years, I undertook several costumery projects for local community events. I became fascinated by the research behind the costumes and decided to write a series of historical novels (as you do). 

Over the last twelve months, as well as working on my novels and taking two Curtis Brown courses, I entered several short story and flash fiction competitions. Won the Jane Austen's House Short Story & National Association of Writers' Groups 100 x 100; shortlisted in The Cambridge Flash Fiction Prize 2021, Ovacome short story 2020 & Retreat West Micro; longlisted in Bath Flash Fiction and Retreat West Micro; published on Reflex Fiction.

Please visit me on instagram for photos which inspire my writing, as well as photos of my costumery and paper craft projects.

Relationships
Empty
KarVal Discussions
  •  · 
Big thank you to Angela, Kate, Lynn and Neil who kindly critiqued one of my flash pieces in October.…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · My OH is used to me making up words. Sometimes I forget if words I use are in general usage.
  •  · 
One of my stories shortlisted in the Ovacome Short Story Comp. It is now online if anyone would like…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks Georgina, glad you enjoyed this. I have many happy floral memories from when I was a child as…
  •  · 
My just-missed-the-longlist historical flash 'The Thistedown Mother' is published on Reflex today if…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Nice one, Karen, I really enjoyed that. A wonderful use of words.
  •  · 
This submissions open call from HQ Digital, the digital first arm of Harper Collins, has appeared in…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I am so pleased to hear that Francesca and wish you all the best with this. I'm not ready to submit …
  •  · 
I read this post by literary agent Lina Langlee on another website and noted that she is looking for…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · How kind, thank you Karen!

Always find your comments so constructive & on point; will message it over, thanks Kate.

Added a comment to Cover Reveal 

A masterclass in how to do a cover and blurb. Amazing, huge congratulations.

My OH is used to me making up words. Sometimes I forget if words I use are in general usage.

Well done Angela, brilliant news. Cheers.

Added a comment to Short story 

Loved this just as much on second reading, and as Libby said, the illustration complements the words beautifully. 

A quick hi and catch up.

I haven't been in the Townhouse much recently because I have been doing a Thriller writing course. That of course means I am now busy rewriting my novel (ahem, yes it was that bad) and I hope to enter it in some first novel comps this year. 

What are you all working on at the moment? Hope the words are flowing.

K.

Added a forum 

Big thank you to Angela, Kate, Lynn and Neil who kindly critiqued one of my flash pieces in October. Said flash sank without trace in the Cranked Anvil comp in Q4 of 2020. However resubbed with some edits it made the Bath Flash longlist this month. Cheers all of you. K.

Added a forum 

One of my stories shortlisted in the Ovacome Short Story Comp. It is now online if anyone would like to read.

Flowerface

Added a forum 

My just-missed-the-longlist historical flash 'The Thistedown Mother' is published on Reflex today if anyone would like to read.

The Thistledown Mother

Added a forum 

This submissions open call from HQ Digital, the digital first arm of Harper Collins, has appeared in my FB feed a couple of times - might be worth a try if you have a suitable MS.

https://books.harpercollins.co.uk/born-to-write/?fbclid=IwAR2Px0hTf2u9LbzJErW1_xPGpOxMF6EcjakeRRZ_SwZ6oUfCb_AemmKTT-Q

Added a forum 

I read this post by literary agent Lina Langlee on another website and noted that she is looking for MG and YA authors. Might be of interest to those of you writing in these genres. Cheers.

Link

changed a profile picture 
Info
Full Name:
KarVal
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard