Rebecca R

Relationships
Empty
Rebecca R Discussions
  •  · 
Do you think it's ok to have a rhetorical question as a first sentence of a novel? Something along t…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Great points. I hadn't even thought of it from that perspective. I will have a rethink. 
  •  · 
Hi allHope you are all well.  I have been tweaking my first chapter that I posted a few months ago. …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you very much Alison for taking the time on this.  I really appreciate it.  Your suggestions a…
  •  · 
HelloI am definitely feeling a bit anxious right now!  I am quite new to writing and haven't shared …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi KellyThank you so much for spending the time to read my chapters! I'm really glad you can see pot…

Great points. I hadn't even thought of it from that perspective. I will have a rethink. 

Yes absolutely. The MC has started a new school and I'm trying to establish that fish out of water feeling. Finding friends and belonging is her main aim in the story.

I hadn't thought of that. Good point. As Georgina notes below, I'm trying to establish that the MC is lonely. So the first two lines read "Was it wrong to want someone to talk to? At first it hadn't seemed like too much for Eleanor to expect from her new school." I will mull it over some more.

Added a forum 

Do you think it's ok to have a rhetorical question as a first sentence of a novel? 

Something along the lines of "Was it wrong to want someone to talk to?" I can't decide. :)

Oh brill! Thanks Kate! That's really helpful and gives me a good idea of what to plan for. I'm keen to get the most out of it that I can. I'm really looking forward to it I have to say. 

I have a question for alumni of the Self Edit course. I'm signed up this summer for the course but I'm unsure how much time I should be planning to set aside for it. I wondered how others coped with studying alongside normal commitments. :)

Brill! Well done - that sounds super positive! 

I'd second this. I have been advised that because my teen WIP wouldn't fit on the Waterstones shelves I should write it down to MG. I'd be interested as to whether the teen readership bracket is completely unmarketable. 

Thanks.

Info
Full Name:
Rebecca R
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard