Robert Pearce

I came to writing novels at a mature age. It has enhanced my life beyond description. 

I don't have trouble devising plots and believe my characters are good. My most difficult problem is the art of good writing. Sentence structure and other things are huge problems for me, but not as much as six months ago. It's just a matter of hanging in there and learning.

Now retired, all my energies go into twelve hours a day of learning and writing. 

Relationships
Empty
Robert Pearce Discussions
  •  · 
Good folks, nearing the end of my second in series I've met a problem. Two people speak to each othe…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks Sarita. 
  •  · 
Hi, folks. I've been studying this issue. When I started writing seriously, a librarian friend of mi…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Semi colons are my favourite, so probably use them instead of any dashes at all. I tend to do short …
  •  · 
This is the new workup following all the wonderful comments received here. I have also added some em…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Rob. The piece has some good stuff, details about the moor and the weatherI'd like more of that, …
  •  · 
Hi, Folks. The crucial first few paras. Anybody have time to comment please. I hope I have the setti…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Rob,Couldn't resist reading your piece.  Firstly, I'd like to stress my genre is women's romantic…
  •  · 
Hi, folks.I've been struggling with an issue for over one year. In 1746, at Culloden, The MacDonald …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I recently read a book with a similar situation. At the end, the author made a note that she had cha…
  •  · 
Folks, so sorry to post this again. You must be sick of it.😟  Two good people earlier suggested I fo…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Just edited my previous response for a few typos. In the piece you sent me psychologist comes out as…
Added a comment to Pitch-ey 

Well said. Each to their own and I wish you the very best. 

Added a comment to Pitch-ey 

Agree with Danny. I'm also a pantster = big time. It intrigues me that people can plan a book. Sure, they may have a rough plot in mind and an idea of their midpoint dramas etc, but to me, a book is built on emotions. Changing as the story evolves = a different midpoint drama by the time you get there. Regardless of your premise, just go for it. Let your heart and gut write the words and show the emotions, your brain will fail you everytime. It should only get a look in when your draft needs to become a novel.

So says me, pantser forever, still trying to be a writer.😎 

So happy for you Jane. Like others, I'd love to see the query letter and synopsis.

That's an idea, Jaye. It is worth consideration, but there are others on this site far more knowledgable than me to comment. I write in American English, tho not American = that is my market.

Ha Ha. Reasonable thought, Glyn, but nowhere near the mark. The MC's title is Lord MacDonald of Keppoch. 😀 And the god is not the Christian god, but one of many.

Yeah, Rick. In the conversation the reader will have no difficulty knowing the god is speaking. His voice quite unique. I guess the quotes are the conservative course to take, maybe the best also, but I hope it doesn't cluttler the long scene. TKU. 

Added a forum 

Good folks, nearing the end of my second in series I've met a problem. Two people speak to each other, mostly short sentences. Rarely, I stop the conversation for a short narrative. I attach a sample here, then explain my problem.

“How? You said, 1,300 years.”

That time since your spark, Lord. My part of you saw it all, and I am we, through me you will see when the split-second comes.

A long pause. Stunned faces, and gasps of disbelief.

“And what of my loves, my dear friends, and Jess.”

Their destiny is not yours. And she already replaces part of you in her soul—filling it with that she saved. A mother’s instincts she now possesses— nothing can replace that love.

----------

If the exchange was as short as the example, I'd just insert, 'Angus said,' 'he said' etc etc, as needed. But the scene is long. It closes plot lines, and opens one or two = it's frightfully important. Narrative would drag it out, punchy dialogue may hold the reader's attention, so that's what I try.

COMMENTS: The first line is Angus speaking (readers know this from previous text). The second is a god in the conversation. The third line is narrative of which there is little in the scene. SO, I have Angus speaking inside quotes. The other guy with no quotes. Same with the narrative obviously.

QUESTIONS: Is there any way I can differentiate the sections without having quotes all over the place? (I hope readers will know who is speaking but not sure.) I thought to put the god's words in italics, but thought there would be too many. Ideas? Is there something I can do with the short sections of narrative to differentiate them?

Thanks in anticipation. None of the second book has been edited = the em dashes for now are just filling space. 😁 😎 I've googled this issue but come up short of help. A bit like my earlier book when dreams were the problem.

Wow, L, what a great effort. I've been following this blog, but haven't involved myself as I don't have the knowledge or experience. The time you commit to aid others is unreal.

Rose, I've took a look at the sites and settled on Wordpress, but it's not free if you want the site interactive (I think). Don't ask me to explain that, but getting people's emails and other services to enhance your readership needs more than the 'free'. I could stand corrected.

I'm about three weeks of finishing my second in series with The Blue Pendant. A website is a must for me considering I'll be self-publishing. To be honest, the thought of this online stuff scares me s...less. But I'm brave, 😎 got time on my hands, and will have a go at most things. 

From reading so many comments on this site, I sense conservatism on many subjects. Difficult to accept, but that won't work in todays world. We grasp the future or we perish. Trad won't cut it unless it also changes.

On the subject of social media promotions of one's work, I'll probably draw the line = just too difficult with so many options. My studies of the promotion subject has pointed me to advertising on sites such as Amazon, Bookbub, and a multitude of others. Several highly respectable authors have said these are the key to success. That's where I'll focus.i

Who dares wins, fortune favours the brave, who persists, conquers, etc etc = that's me on the condition a bottle of nice red is within arm's reach.😈 

Hi Miriam. The 'herself' is redunant = she's the only person there. The 'really' relates to her sense of curiosity. If a wasp walked from my forehead down onto my eyebrow - I wouldn't be curious, I'd faint.😃 

I've just now read the piece again. You have a talent. This sentence '...followed the wasp with every pore as it wandered...' is just so good. I don't think I've seen a similar phrase before, it's perfect. "Pore' is such a great word in this context. Obviously there are no hairs on a forehead to tingle, so it fitted, descriptive, exciting. 

Keep at it. 

Info
Full Name:
Robert Pearce
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard