Robert Pearce

I came to writing novels at a mature age. It has enhanced my life beyond description. 

I don't have trouble devising plots and believe my characters are good. My most difficult problem is the art of good writing. Sentence structure and other things are huge problems for me, but not as much as six months ago. It's just a matter of hanging in there and learning.

Now retired, all my energies go into twelve hours a day of learning and writing. 

Relationships
Empty
Robert Pearce Discussions
  •  · 
Hi folks. I've missed you lot. Busy as, but getting there. The books are finished, all bar number 3 …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks, Glyn. It seems those explosions have been voted down and I'll attend to that.
  •  · 
Rick Wakeman, 1975. One of the great British musicians in an era of undoubted British supremacy (my …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Gallant men softly cryinga great line
  •  · 
Folks – three days of study and research led me to scrap my other attempts at writing a blurb. The b…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Rob glad to see you’re still at it! I’ve been on a couple o courses and found them really useful …
  •  · 
Hi, folks. What I have posted is the latest update. I still fear I’m telling the whole story, but th…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · You misunderstand me, Rob. Or I'm not being clear.By all means, Angus goes looking for a box but fin…
  •  · 
Hi, friendly folks. Below are my updated covers. They have been drastically changed to take account …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I agree with the others about the color and font of the name, but honestly, they really catch my eye…
  •  · 
Hi, folks. Is this a drag or what? Getting close to finished (the book is, it's all the other crap),…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks, Libby. I've just updated to a new set of covers and posted them just now on a new blog here.

Good, Helen. The question is, though, is the minefield better than the mine hole of such depth that a million books a year fall into it while sad authors wait for responses that come for so few. Many think it's worth the effort to be out there and finding readers. That after all is the point we write = the readers. (and cos we love it) 

Helen, Amazon do tell people about your book in the first 90 days. For 30 days they give it some pushing, this reduces in the next thirty days, and dies off at 90. Advertising your first book at 99c without a second novel or series part available for readers who liked the first, is not a recommended strategy. 99% of people won't make money on a 99c book, but it does need to be low and make your money on sell-through to the full priced second. David talks about this and he is spot on, as are Nicholas Eric and many other good authors who all do the same thing. My first book is permanently at 99c with the second $2.99 and the third $3.99. That's pretty standard practice and some even have their first at free. The message is, one book won't cut it.

I have some suggestions related to the comments above and will get to them over a few days (I'm as busy as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest launching 3 books in December). There's so much above with which I struggled to agree. On the layout side, take yourselves to Draft2Digital (https://draft2digital.com/), register, fill in the book details, load up any cover file you have, and your MS, then wait while it formats your novel. You will then be shown a standard layout which you can read as if on a phone. If you're happy with that, then select which genre your book is and D2D will give prettied up samples of the whole book. Mine is paranormal/fantasy and rather than pay heaps, I settled on their design. Then I exported an ePub file, PDF, and mobi file to my computer and the ePub I loaded up to Amazon. That cost no money but remember not to push the publish button. Just keep changing things until you find the best available. The style change in front of your eyes as soon as you push the button. I settled on the sample attached, but there's many to choose from. They won't light up graphic designers, but for the average reader you'll find a style that's okay. AND IT"S FREE! They do the contents page, which makes that easy, and the upload to Amazon was no more than a button push and it was accepted.image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=601&dpx=1&t=1634527691

With the covers, the prices for which above I found staggering, there are many options. Many schools have graphic design courses. Speak to the person in charge, offer some money = maybe 50 pounds, and run a competition with the students. You'll find a good design and the winner will provide you with finished art as they learn on programs like, Gimp and others which are designed for the job. Go to Fiverr, look around at the work offered, its's cheap and you may find a good person there. I do my own basic designs on Powerpoint and send them off to be improved and finished, = much cheaper. More later.

Google SEOs or visit Fiverr, Upwork, or one of those. Maybe even Dave Chesson or Reedsy will lead you to them. I've chosen mine but won't give their names until I test the fruits of their labours. I'll certainly spread the word in January if they do good by me during my December launches.

Haaa haaaa haaaa. That reminds me of me when I started on JW. A couple here soon straightened me out. Good one, Calvin.

Search Engine Optimisation is perhaps the description, Milla. It can be a slog, but not if you use one of the thousands offering such services. They are all over and not so expensive because there's fierce competition between them for the available jobs. That's the course I've taken as writing takes too much time. For those who don't have an email list and hate social media, utilizing other services to create a presence is important.

If I was you I'd delay a month, Georgina, to see if Reidr and me fall in a heap. If we do, there's a fair chance you'll hear about our mistakes and avoid them. Ha ha. BUT THEN AGAIN, it might go the other way and Reidr and I may buy you a bottle of wine.

Jeez, Roger, life's tough for some. No time for NaNoWriMo here either.

Me too, Reidr, with 3 books of a series. My books are done and being loaded up to Amazon, it's the hanging on stuff slowing things up. Promotions, ads, book tours, reviews, and stuff. Good luck with it.

And so says this wood duck. Good for you Georgina. Control your own destiny, write what you love, and the pleasure ahead lies in readers buying your first book and moving onto the second and third. That is what authors crave, reader engagement, and what other professionals think is of no consequence because they don't read your work. The success will be yours alone, and bloody good on ya! I tip my hat to independent thinkers who take destiny into their own hands.

Hang in there, R.J. Always look on the bright side, and keep the colour in you're writing. For example, you wrote above 'My protagonist is in deep trouble' = try, deep shit! Ha ha ha

Yeah for paranormal, Lynn. Maybe you'll get lucky and the wait won't be long. It happens, so why not for you? 

Info
Full Name:
Robert Pearce
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard