Georgina Hunter-Jones

I used to be a helicopter pilot, but retired after an accident put me in hospital for two months. Physically, I could still fly, teach, examine and so forth, but those months in hospital made me realize that, as much as I love helicopters, they are not the only fruit!

I always wrote madly, and still edit a helicopter magazine, but now I am concentrating more on fiction. I have just finished a novel, which one of JW’s editors is looking at, and I have a plan for another starting to take shape. The last novel took me 14 years to finish, so I need to slightly increase my speed!

I have a very bad habit! I like to plaster my writing with exclamation marks. My first husband told me I should only put them in where I think the content is funny (ironic maybe) what do you think? 

Relationships
Empty
Georgina Hunter-Jones Discussions
  •  · 
Would this blurb make you want to read the book?I keep looking at it and I feel it isn't compelling …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you Daggilarr, that is also fabulous. I’d read that book too. Brilliant.
  •  · 
When Beta readers read this they questioned Anthony, the social worker, being black and Cat's reacti…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Yes, I definitely think you are right and I am rewriting the piece to make it more… well sensible an…
  •  · 
Hi, would anyone be happy to look at this, it is only 300 words, and tell me if the meaning of the P…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you, that was very helpful. Yes, consistency has always been a problem for me. I’m working on …
Does anyone know if Interior Design is the same as Book formatting and if it can all be done with Ve…
  •  · 
Does swearing in a novel, even if not very much, put you off reading it? I have just had this discus…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Depends on your audience. I don’t give a fuck, but my in-laws would put the book down at the first s…
  •  · 
A friend of mine is publishing a book about caregivers and caring and is looking for others to contr…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Ok, no worries. If he needs any future assistance I’m happy to help out. Hope all is going well for …

If it was only reader I would ignore it. He/she might well have been having a bad day and decided to take it out on your manuscript. I work with holiday lettings and occasionally that happens there. As long as the majority of readers and your development editor, copy editor and proof reader are with you I'd ignore an aberent commentator.

Thank you. I read the Adam Croft article and yes, it was well worth reading.

Incidentally, I meant to say before how much I enjoyed your blog. Your articles are very interesting and much to the point and, honestly, much better written than a lot of stuff we get in The Times UK, which, in my opinion, needs a proof reader!

Added a comment to Blurb 

Thank you Daggilarr, that is also fabulous. I’d read that book too. Brilliant.

Added a comment to Blurb 

I love it! It isn’t completely right for the book although near enough but I’d definitely read a book with that description. Thank you.

Added a comment to Blurb 

Do you think this sounds any better? It is more in line with the Cousin Rachel blub.

In Post-Franco Spain, the climate still angry and suspicious, a young girl is running wild in the hills. Anastasia must marry or be sent to live in a convent. Her beauty ensnares a Scottish Laird, but six months after they marry, he is found dead.

Now richer, Anastasia marries again, and again, growing richer with each marriage and each subsequent death.

Widowed four times Anastasia becomes engaged to Angelo. Will he survive? Or will he become the Fifth Lost Husband? His sister Gia employs the SeeMs Detective Agency to find out.

Added a comment to Blurb 

Thank you all very much. Blurb writing does seem rather tricky. I’ll try and work on how to make the characters appear more enticing.

Added a comment to Blurb 

Thank you. I’ll try BPF blurb writing seems much harder than I expected.

Added a comment to Blurb 

Thanks Libby, very interesting that you didn't think she needed an explanation for why she needs to marry well (ie the family is poor or have arrived from elsewhere and need help). I kinda thought 'must marry well' why? And what is well?

Did mine seem a bit too detailed? You are probably right. It certainly doesn't seem to be right to me. Thanks. I shall ponder on!

Added a forum 

Would this blurb make you want to read the book?

I keep looking at it and I feel it isn't compelling enough, but I don't know how to make it more exciting.

Anastasia Rodriguez, the daughter of a Russian émigré family, must marry well. She does. However, all four husbands die in unexplained circumstances, each death leaving her much richer.

When Anastasia becomes engaged to Angelo, his friends are first delighted then worried as they hear her history. Is she a killer or just unlucky?

Angelo’s sister, Gia, employs Cat, Miranda and Stevie from the SeeMs Detective Agency to discover if Anastasia is the Black Widow she seems. 

The girls only have five weeks to investigate before Angelo marries Anastasia and possibly becomes the fifth lost husband.

I liked it, and would certainly read on. However, there was a certain melancholy in the piece, both in the loneliness of the first character and in the simplicity of the second. It felt like the start of a detective story where the detective is determined to find out who killed the waitress and give her the justice that no one else can be bothered to do.

Info
Full Name:
Georgina Hunter-Jones
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard