D. M. Costa

I´m Donna, portuguese, 58. I live between London, Lisbon, Paris and a rural village near Tomar, which was the old headquarters of the Templar Knights in Portugal. I´m writing my first novel MARIZA and enjoying every page... A second project in life writing and a dabble in micro-fiction and poetry.

Glad to be here!

My email: Donna.Costa.92@gmail.com

Relationships
Empty
My Forums
  •  · 
What comes to mind when you think of personal freedom?What concepts and ideas (positive or negative)…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · What comes to mind for me: autonomy, self-actualisation, authenticity, satisfaction, power. To have …
  •  · 
Last week the BBC started a new six-part series on the role of the novel as a powerful tool for soci…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Ditto thanks. I'll see if I can manage to find a way to watch. I gave up TV six years ago!
  •  · 
The19th of June is Juneteenth, the historic holiday which celebrates the official end of slavery in …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · You're welcome Donna and thank you for your kind words regarding my profile. My novels are on the ww…
  •  · 
This short excerpt is from the middle of my WIP, a contemporary realistic novel titled MARIZA. The p…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Roger, thanks for reading.I like Emma's blog and have used it a lot. But... in respect to filteri…
D. M. Costa
 added a forum 

What comes to mind when you think of personal freedom?

What concepts and ideas (positive or negative) do you associate with it?

This is an underlying theme in my novel and I'm trying to explore it from different prespectives. There is no right or wrong answer. Just what comes to your mind. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=166&dpx=2&t=1594467829Casually off to kill her next victim...

What if your perfect character is also the villain?

And how do you balance the villain character with an every-day character?

Do details such as clothes and food matter to the story?

All the answers are HERE.

Even if, like me, you don't write crime, there's still plenty to take away from this BBC article. It also describes the process of turning a novel into a script and selecting the perfect actor to play the MC. I found it educational.

Enjoy!... And then come back here and join the discussion.

Michael Rosen, the much loved author of We Are Going on a Bear Hunt, was told he 'might not wake up' when he was put on a ventilator after being admitted to hospital with Covid. He's now safe at home and recovering. Click to read the good news.

He's also the author of a beautiful poem about the NHS, titled These Are The Hands. Listen to him here.

Get well soon, Michael... You are an inspiration to all of us...

A BIG THANK YOU to the NHS for treating him and thousands of others, and being there for us in our hour of need.

You are the brightest stars... 💥 💥 💥 You make the world a little better every day of the week...

Hey Donna, lovely to meet you! 

I'm a German born British expat living in Portugal (near Oliveira do Hospital) – in other words, a 'non-Brexited' European – writing fiction and non-fiction. I'm wondering whether your novel has anything to do with the famous Portuguese Fadista?

So... what's your story about?

Someone I'd just met at a writers' meeting once asked me this question, and without much thought I enthusiastically started a detailed explanation of the plot with all its twists & turns. After a few minutes my listener excused herself, she really, really had to go somewhere but would catch with me later. She never came back to hear the end of it.

And why should she?

The world is full of stories. Nobody has time for yet another one. Unless you show its purpose, its raison d’être.

I learnt a valuable lesson that day. Next time someone asked me what my story was about, I told them instead about the theme, the essence of it: it's about personal freedom vs commitment, I said. This usually produces further interest & questions, and the opportunity to explain the purpose of my novel, and why I want to write it.

In turn, knowing why I want to write it, keeps me on course, like the road signs on a journey. And if you know where you want to go, you will get there.

What's the theme of your novel?

Has it got a raison d’être?

Do you write with purpose?

D. M. Costa
 added a forum 

Last week the BBC started a new six-part series on the role of the novel as a powerful tool for social change.

The first episode looked at female emancipation in literature and the first women novelists. This week the second episode titled A Room of One's Own, looks at some of the most influential women's novels including the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Check viewing times where you are here. 

This programme will be on air on different days & timings. I'm following it in France on BBC World News channel.

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=136&dpx=2&t=1592729974

D. M. Costa
 added a forum 

The19th of June is Juneteenth, the historic holiday which celebrates the official end of slavery in the US. Which novel(s) would you recommend to celebrate this day?

See news here  https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-53095887/what-is-juneteenth-day-what-you-need-to-know-about-a-historic-holiday 

D. M. Costa
 added a forum 

This short excerpt is from the middle of my WIP, a contemporary realistic novel titled MARIZA. The purpose of this scene is to show the dynamics between characters and place. It prepares the ground for a big argument to come.

What you need to know: Mariza is the MC and 1st person narrator. She is Antonio's sister, and Isabel is Antonio's wife. Mariza lives in London and is visiting the family home.

All feedback is much appreciated. Please feel free to comment any way you wish. Thank you for reading.

D. M. Costa
 changed a profile picture 
D. M. Costa
 changed a profile cover 
Info
Full Name:
D. M. Costa
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard
My Posts