Alan Drwm

A father of three and grandfather to a few.

I live in north Wales surrounded by megalithic tombs and henge monuments. These are the main focus of my current writing.

At heart I'm just a story-teller.

By profession I am a cartographer.

By obsession I'm a frame drummer.

Relationships
Empty
Alan Drwm Discussions
  •  · 
  •  · 
My first novel, so unsure about the effectiveness of my pitch. Narrowed it down to two possibilities…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Returning to my original post, my revised strap line is:-A girl who is the product of two races, mee…

Wow! Delighted that you are about to let the world see what you have written.  Your title is intriguing. My problem with writing a book is that I'm a storyteller myself.  I've found that the spoken word and the written word don't easily translate from one to the other.  Let me know who the publisher is and I'll certainly buy a copy. Keep me posted. 

Alan Drwm

Hi Lynn, good to hear from you.

The option to self publish is on the back burner until I see how my agent submissions go.  If I get repeated rejections then I will look for alternatives.  My story though has some publishing disadvantages that agents and publishers might find daunting.  Firstly it is very long, some 240,000 words whereas the recommended length for a first time author is in the region of 80,000 to 100,000. Secondly it covers an era that not many people are interested in, the late Neolithic.  Bronze age waring tribes and metal weaponry are far more de rigueur these days.  But this is a story that my head demanded that I write. I live in the area where most of it is set, surrounded by neolithic tombs and henges.

The book cover I have worked on is just a trial. The pattered symbol across the front and back is the Token Stone of the title. A real book cover designer will obviously come up with something better, but these are the elements I would like it to include.

If all else fails I'll self publish a few copies and give them to my grandkids as something their granddad did.

Bye for now.  Alan Drwm

Thanks Carol. It's out with agent enquires now.  Time to concentrate on the next two parts of the trilogy. 

What are you working on?

Thanks for your response.  Now Im in a bit of a quandary. I began to think that the 'two races, two species' pitch was a bit too sci-fi when in fact this is quite small element of the epic. So I took another tack and changed it to " A dark yet compelling tale of a disfigured child's survival in an age where to be different means death."  

However there is suddenly a positive response to " A girl who is the product of two races meets a girl who is the product of two species."

You never can tell. 

The sequel is well under way so I'm concentrating on that now.

My novel TOKEN STONE -The Girl in the Cage, is the first part of a trilogy set in the last days of the Neolithic, about 2500BC. Where I live is surrounded by their tombs and monuments.

Hi Kate. thanks for your kind thoughts.  I have spent the last few month just sitting quietly with the finished manuscript and mulling over how to present it to agents. In doing so I was surprised to discover that I didn't really know what it was about. It was written in a stream of consciousness with an ending firmly in mind but no plan as to what was going to happen in the process. So it just evolved into an epic adventure.  Now that I've had time to take stock I have a good feeling about how it has worked out.

In the light of my musings I have written a new elevator pitch that better describes the core of the story.

'A dark yet compelling tale of a disfigured child's survival in an age where to be different means death'

Submitted it to a few agents yesterday. All I can do now is wait.  And get on writing the sequel.

Happy days.

Hi Angela, what is you novel about, what time period?  I'm like you, I have an, as yet, unpublished novel.  I sent the synopsis and a few pages to seven agents today. I now have to just sit and wait.  I chose ones who said they were interested in historical fiction.  It is an enormous feeling of relief that after years of writing, re-writng and editing, that I can now do no more. It's in the lap of the gods.  Had a drink to celebrate.  

I'm halfway through a trilogy set at the end of the Stone Age. It's overall title is TOKEN STONE: 1 The Girl in the Cage, 2 Midwinter Sunrise, 3 The Last Tomb. My first novel.

I have two other books on the go. THE DRUDS TOUCH, about night youth work in Leeds, England.  Its nearly complete but was written by hand over 30 years ago and now I can't read my writing. And I'M NOT ME, an autobiographical piece about identity and my mixed up early life.

Hi Silver, great to hear from you.  What are you working on at the moment.

I'm am, as yet, an unpublished writer with higher aspirations. My story is about a five-year-old with a disfigured face. Hence she is regarded as a curse and housed in a cage. When the cage is finally broken open a banshee emerges, more animal than human. Things begin to change however when something similar to a twelve-year-old girl comes out of the caves of the White Mountain and rescues her. What the banshee doesn't know is that her new friend is already over a thousand years old.

Having edited and re-written it numerous times, I am about ready to see if I can find an agent.  

Would love to hear more about your work. Have you already been published? Keep in touch Silver. (great name)

Good morning Harry.  I would appreciate your comments on my upcoming book title Thanks,  Alan Drwm

A girl who is the product of two races, meets a girl who is the product of two species.

TOKEN STONE, The Girl in the Cage, is the first book in a trilogy about a cursed child.  It is set among the warring tribes of north Wales and Ireland at the end of the stone age.

A disfigured baby girl, the result of an illicit union between the leaders of two opposing tribes, is born on a foreign shore.  Her father has already been murdered, and her mother dies in childbirth. The only clue to her identity, and her inheritance as chieftain of both tribes, is the token stone around her neck.

There are those who are determined that this inheritance should not be claimed. All they have to do is find her.

The community into which she has been born regards her as a curse. As a consequence she spends the next five years bound in a cage. When the cage is finally broken open a banshee emerges, more animal than human. Things begin to change when something that looks similar to a twelve-year-old girl comes out of the caves of the White Mountain and rescues her. What the banshee doesn’t know is that her new friend is already over a thousand years old.

Returning to my original post, my revised strap line is:-

A girl who is the product of two races, meets a girl who is the product of two species.

Info
Full Name:
Alan Drwm
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard