Esther | Marketing Assistant | Jericho Writers

Hello! I'm Esther, and I'm the Marketing Assistant at Jericho Writers. I can usually be found running our social media accounts and helping out with all things marketing ☺️ Currently writing my dissertation for my MA in Publishing Media. I'm always happy to chat so come and say hi! 

Relationships
Empty
Esther | Marketing Assistant | Jericho Writers Discussions
  •  · 
From Sarah: Oh, how I wish I had some first-person experience to share with you on this one! Like ma…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I started off writing as a screenwriter. I wrote some short screenplays, had some small successes, b…
From Sarah: Oh, how I wish I had some first-person experience to share with you on this one! Like ma…
  •  · 
First line: “The first time it happened, I was sitting under the table.”A couple are on their honeym…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · prompt: When Shadows Walk and Talk. some others include: NIGHT FALLS, HOLE IN THE SOUL, THEY COULDN’…
  •  · 
One of the biggest joys of teaching writing is discovering the differences and quirks we all have wh…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · About the blank page and writer's block:I haven't had this problem yet, maybe because I don't write …
  •  · 
What's making you feel empowered this week?So much of the publishing process can feel outside an aut…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Georgina. For my first self-published book, 'A Year of Change' I found someone on line by using the …
Added a post 

Build your book month starts this Friday! 

I’m not sure how we’re into October already, but thankfully this spells an amazing time for members! In this newsletter, we look at the good things coming your way this week and learn how to build a brilliant bestselling book.  

MEMBER EVENTS: Build Your Book Month starts 1 October (Member exclusive) 

We have fourteen (14!) events coming your way this month, all curated to give you the specific tools you need to build your book in any genre. Join Jack Jordan on 1 October for Plotting and Planning to Build Suspense and Elly Griffiths and William Shaw on 4 October for Developing a Character Through a Series, to kick things off. 

MEMBERS - REGISTER NOW 

NON-MEMBERS - FIND OUT MORE

This week at Jericho Writers: 

OPPORTUNITY: Barbellion Prize Submissions Open  

If you are writer with a chronic illness or disability with a work published between Nov 2020 – Oct 2021, it’s worth checking out this prize. The prize aims to platform works giving greater visibility for, and a genuine illustration of, life with illness, disease, impairment, or disability. 

Submissions for the 2021 prize are now open.  

FIND OUT MORE  

MEMBER EVENT: Ask Us Anything – Member ZOOM Beta Test (Member exclusive) 

You asked – we delivered. Join us for a Beta test Zoom event on 7 October, where you’ll be able to ask your burning membership questions and enjoy the chaos of having 100 members in a virtual room! If it works, we’ll be making these a regular feature of your membership. If it doesn’t - well – it'll be lovely to see you anyway.  

MEMBERS - REGISTER NOW 

BOOK CLUB: Meeting next week with guest author Elaine Chiew

Here's a little reminder to join us for our next book club on Tuesday 5 October where we'll be chatting with Elaine Chiew about her book The Heartsick Diaspora. The club is completely free - follow the link below for the zoom link, a discount on the book from Fox Lane Books, and to vote on the next genre!

JOIN THE BOOK CLUB

SPOTLIGHT ON: Hannah Todd 

We’re delighted that ex-Jericho Writers employee and all-round fabulous human Hannah Todd has now joined Madeleine Milburn as a literary agent. This week, we asked her what she’s looking for and how you can submit your work to her.  

READ NOW 

SUCCESS STORY: Charlotte Owen snapped up by The Bent Agency 

This week we’re feeling proud of Charlotte Owen, who has secured representation with The Bent Agency and is currently working on her debut novel. She said the MS Assessment she received through Jericho Writers was ‘instrumental’ in her offer of representation. Congratulations Charlotte – we can’t wait to see your debut on the shelves!  

MANUSCRIPT ASSESSMENT SERVICE

The skills you need to build a brilliant book 

Anyone can write a book, but it takes skill, dedication, and tenacity to write a book that readers outside your immediate family circle will think is brilliant.  

So, how do you take a wisp of an idea and turn it into something deserving of a place on a shelf in strangers' homes?  

1. Hone your idea into a killer pitch. What about your story is different enough to stand out, but similar enough to other books to be recognisable? Skills needed: market knowledge; elevator pitch; research.  

2. Plot to build suspense. This is the part I always find the hardest! Keep readers turning pages by studying the key elements of storytelling. Skills needed: Plot structure; character arcs; tension-building; avoiding a soggy-middle; beginnings and endings.  

3. Create characters readers will love. Creating believable characters readers will want to spend time with is a difficult feat. Skills needed: Empathy; character questionnaires (or other tools to help you know your characters inside-out); Protagonists; Antagonists; Realistic secondary characters; voice; point-of-view and psychic distance.  

4. Nail your voice. Perhaps related to character-building – pick a narrative style for your book that will set it apart from the rest. Skills needed: point-of-view; multiple perspectives; first/second/third person; psychic distance.  

5. Create a memorable setting. Think about the space (indoor/outdoor/location) as well as the time (day/night/season/historical/contemporary/futuristic) your book is set in. Skills needed: description; lyrical vs sparse prose; historical accuracy; pathetic fallacy. 

6. Hone your prose. What kind of words are you going to employ to tell your story? Skills needed: show don’t tell; literary prose; sentence structure; poetry; tension; clarity; line-editing; grammar and punctuation.  

7. Edit, edit, edit. Books really are made in the editing. Learn how to finesse all of the above after you’ve got the initial words down. Skills needed: Structural editing; line-editing; proofreading.  

There are plenty more skills to be learned to write a book. Share the ones you think most important to your work in the Townhouse, here.   

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

One-to-ones - new sessions available soon  

Keep your eyes peeled if you have a manuscript ready, as we’ll be releasing brand new sessions with new agents to give feedback directly on your work.  

Manuscript Assessment Service (10% discount available)  

A more in-depth way to give your manuscript that extra sparkle is to have it professionally assessed by an editor. They’ll give you a full report – a detailed roadmap to success. Prices vary based on word count.  

Mentoring (10% discount available)  

Get expert one-to-one help as you write and edit your manuscript with your choice of award-winning mentors. 

Added a post 

What we learned about your writing this month

As we gear up for ‘Build Your Book’ month, this newsletter looks forward to events to come, highlights the other exciting opportunities we have going and reminds you of where you could submit your writing right now. We also take a look at the results of the recent member survey to see what our audience are writing and what their obstacles are.   

TUTORED COURSES: Creative Non-Fiction starts 7 October (Discounts for members) 

Only ONE place left! Nurture your non-fiction project on this short, flexible course. Sam Jordison has been an editor, a co-director at award-winning indie publisher Galley Beggar Press, and a writer at The Guardian – so he really knows his stuff.  

SECURE YOUR PLACE 

MEMBER EVENTS: Platform Building (Member exclusive) 

Building a platform and establishing your online presence is a crucial skill for any author right now. This week we have Facebook for Authors with Debbie Young, a succinct and accessible introduction to the many ways Facebook can enhance your success. Join us to access a full month of events to guide you through the online world as an author.  

MEMBERS - REGISTER NOW 

NON-MEMBERS - JOIN US TO REGISTER 

OPPORTUNITY: Untitled Writing Submissions Opportunity  

The lovely folks at Untitled Writing have opened submissions for their fourth issue of Voices. We were lucky enough to have them with us for a SFoW event and they do fantastic things to platform underrepresented writers. There’s no theme and they accept any form, so go wild! 

FIND OUT MORE 

MEMBER OPPORTUNITY: Submit your book directly to Simon & Schuster with #JerichoWritersOneDay 

We’re thrilled to be working with our friends over at Simon & Schuster UK to bring our under-represented members the opportunity to submit directly to their Digital Original list (no agent required!) We have members of our own team on this list and are so pleased to be able to offer this as a member exclusive! 

FIND OUT MORE 

SUCCESS STORY: Christine Jordan  

Congratulations to Jericho Writers member Christine Jordan who recently secured a deal with Bloodhound Books. Her thriller, 'MisPer', will be published 25 July 2022. A chunk of Christine's work was edited live in Harry's Self-Editing webinar, so it's particularly lovely to see her flourishing now! 

MORE HERE 

What we discovered from the Summer Member Survey 2021

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send us your feedback about the Jericho membership last week! We loved reading through the comments.  

There were a couple of interesting findings from the survey about what members are writing and the barriers most writers are facing right now, and I wanted to share these here – not only for those who (like me) love a stat, but also so you all know that you’re not alone.  

We have members writing in almost every genre!  

The top genres reported were Fantasy and Sci-Fi (32%); Women’s Fiction (29%) and Commerical Fiction (26%). It was really interesting to see poetry and short stories climb in popularity though, so we’re looking into adding to our content on these. 

A huge obstacle facing writers right now is lack of access to the publishing industry.  

42% of members chose this as their answer, although many said that they can also get stuck with lack of time, and lack of feedback on their writing. We’re hoping that schemes such as the S&S #JerichoWritersOneDay open submission scheme will help a little with this, but it’s clear there is more the industry can be doing to be more open and inclusive to new writers.  

Live member events are the most useful part of the membership.  

Excellent news, as we’ve just announced an extra-special month of them in October, and that the Summer Festival of Writing will officially be 100% included in membership in 2022. We were also told that the Video Courses and AgentMatch were important, which we’re making regular updates to.  

92% of members agree that their membership has helped them reach their writing goals.  

This number and all the funny, friendly and helpful responses to this survey really put a smile on our faces. Thank you!  

Have something else you wish we knew? You can chat to our real-life-human team anytime by email or phone on +44 (0) 345 459 9560 (+1 (646)-974-9060 if you’re in the US!) or info@jerichowriters.com

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

Membership bursary  

Don’t forget that top publisher Simon & Schuster have kindly sponsored a full Jericho Writers membership bursary for an underrepresented writer. We’re sponsoring a further eleven on top of that – so if you identify as being from an underrepresented community, get applying now.  

One-to-ones - last minute sessions available  

We still have sessions in the next week available with agents from Jane Rotrosen Agency; Peters, Fraser and Dunlop; Inkwell Management; Liverpool Literary and many more. Book now and your work could just be the next big discovery for one of these top agents. 

Get expert one-to-one help as you write and edit your manuscript with your choice of award-winning mentors. 

Added a post 

How to tweet, post and shout about your writing 

It’s Platform-Building month at Jericho Writers, and this week we’re celebrating everything social media. We also have a reminder about our exciting #JerichoWritersOneDay opportunity for members and the first of a series of blogs walking you through your membership. 

MEMBER OPPORTUNITY: Submit your book direct to Simon & Schuster with #JerichoWritersOneDay 

We’re thrilled to be working with our friends over at Simon & Schuster UK to bring our under-represented members the opportunity to submit directly to their Digital Original list (no agent required!) We have members of our own team on this list and are so pleased to be able to offer this as a member exclusive!  

FIND OUT MORE 

Nurture your non-fiction project on this short, flexible course. Sam Jordison has been an editor, a co-director at award-winning indie publisher Galley Beggar Press, and a writer at The Guardian – so he really knows his stuff. Grab your place to create a fully-realised piece of work in just six weeks.  

SECURE YOUR PLACE 

MEMBER EVENT: Events happening this week 

Tomorrow, we have Twitter for Authors with Julie Owen-Moylan, followed by an event on Instagram for Authors with Fiona Thomas on Saturday 18 September. Both of these tutors are brilliant at what they do and well worth tuning in for! 

REGISTER NOW 

BLOG: How to write a compelling plot twist  

Our fabulous new Digital Content Manager Natali Juste Simmonds has hit the ground running with a comprehensive post on everything you need to know to write a plot twist that completely hooks readers and stands the test of time.  

READ NOW     

SUCCESS STORY: Natalie Chandler  

Natalie Chandler began researching and writing her debut novel, ‘Believe Me Not’, in 2020, and attended the Summer Festival of Writing to build up her confidence before seeking agent representation. She’s now represented by Liza DeBlock at Mushens Entertainment, and recently signed a deal with Headline Accent. 

READ THE INTERVIEW 

Social media basics for absolute beginners 

We’re living in a world unrecognisable from the one we lived in just a few short decades ago – especially in terms of technology. These days, it’s almost a given that everyone should have a computer, be online, and use social media. 

But it’s not.  

For those at you who are new to the world of social media and feeling daunted by it, I thought I’d pause and cover some basics for you to start building upon if/when you feel you’d like to.  

1: Hashtags 

These have found their way into everyday speech now, but at its basic – a hashtag is a way to turn a word or phrase into a link, to discover other content about that word or phrase. For writers, this is particularly wonderful, as we can connect with other people interested in writing from all other the world, just by adding a hashtag at the beginning. Try #writing or #amwriting and see what the world is saying about it!  

2: Different platforms  

Social media platforms fall in and out of favour, but the main ones currently are Twitter and Instagram (with Facebook close behind still, for those with a more mature readership!)  

Twitter is characterised as a way of sharing things succinctly, in a short character limit. It’s brilliant for connecting to the industry and to other writers, but can also be overwhelming.  

Instagram is for sharing pictures and videos – brilliant for posting book reviews and connecting with the reading community.  

There's also TikTok (for short videos); LinkedIn (for business connections) and thousands more. Pick one, put the time in and if you decide none are good for you – that's completely fine.  

3: @ing / tagging / DMs 

If you want to send a message to one person in particular, you can often do this my heading to their profile, finding their username and adding an ‘@’ in front of it. For example, if you want to say hello to our team, we’re @jerichowriters!  

Do bear in mind though that on Twitter and other platforms, these messages are publicly available for the world to view. If you want to send a ‘Direct Message’ (DM) look for the mail symbol on their profile.  

When used correctly, the world of social media can be a brilliant way to connect with people and feel part of something brilliant.

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

Membership bursary  

On top of our #JerichoWritersOneDay partnership with Simon & Schuster, they’ve kindly sponsored a full Jericho Writers membership bursary for an underrepresented writer. To celebrate, we’re sponsoring a further eleven on top of that – so if you identify as being from an underrepresented community, we urge you to apply. 

One-to-ones with literary agents still available

Get direct feedback from agents and book doctors. The summer has pretty much gone, and so have most of our sessions – so get booking!  

Added a post 

Inside the #JerichoWritersOneDay member opportunity  

What an exciting newsletter we have this week! In it, we announce an exclusive opportunity for under-represented members with ‘Big 5’ publisher, Simon & Schuster. We also have more on the ‘Build Your Book’ event extravaganza happening this October – PLUS – events happening this week, announcements and a takeover from our own Digital-First superstar, Sophie Flynn.  

MEMBER OPPORTUNITY: Submit your book direct to Simon & Schuster with #JerichoWritersOneDay 

We’ve teamed up with publishing giants Simon & Schuster UK to bring our under-represented members the opportunity to submit directly to their Digital Original list (no agent required!) We have members of our own team on this list (see the takeover below!) and are so pleased to be able to offer this as a member exclusive!  

FIND OUT MORE 

BURSARY: 12 New Membership Bursaries Available!  

We’re also delighted to announce that Simon & Schuster will be sponsoring a full bursary membership to Jericho Writers, for an underrepresented author. To celebrate this exciting partnership, we’ll be sponsoring a further eleven bursaries.  

APPLY NOW 

MEMBER EVENT: Announcing ‘Build Your Book’ month! 

We have thirteen (THIRTEEN!!) special events happening for members in October, all themed around key writing advice and techniques to build your book. It’s a cracking line-up – do check it out under ‘October Events’ and get the dates in your diary!  

FIND OUT MORE

If you’d like to write your memoir or other creative non-fiction project alongside a top author and commissioning editor, we have limited places available for the next online course, starting in October. 

SECURE YOUR PLACE 

MEMBER EVENT: Events happening this week 

TODAY we have Self-Marketing for the Reluctant Author with the brilliant Neema Shah, and we’re with superstar bestselling author Clare Mackintosh tomorrow for The Art of the Newsletter.  

MEMBERS - REGISTER NOW 

NON-MEMBERS - JOIN US TO ATTEND

SUCCESS STORY: Siya Turabi’s novel published by Harper Collins  

Congratulations to Self-Edit Course alumni Siya Turabi, whose novel ‘The Last Beekeeper’ was published with Harper Collins last month. Keep up with #SelfEditAlumni on Twitter to see how this course really does change lives.  

READ MORE 

What Digital-First means in real life, by Sophie Flynn  

My first full MS request was in October '19. It came as a result of the Curtis Brown First Novel Prize and though I wasn’t even long-listed, I was contacted by one of their leading agents months later. Out of 3,500 submissions, she’d read and liked mine. Though in the end, she didn’t offer me representation, it certainly made me think that I might be well on my way to getting an agent.  

I wasn't. 

By April 2020, despite many rewrites, I’d racked up around 10 full MS requests and 10 full MS rejections.  

One day scrolling Twitter, I saw a tweet from Simon & Schuster’s Brand Director: ‘One Day a year we’re open to submissions from unagented writers’. I remember sharing it to the office chat, saying  ‘do you guys think I should submit to this?’ I got a resounding yes, so that day I sent in my submission and waited. 

Six weeks (and a few more rejections) later, I was in my garden in the sunshine when an email pinged on my phone from Simon & Schuster: they wanted my full MS. Though I was thrilled, I also told myself that I'd been here before and not to get my hopes up. 

The week my offer came in started with a rejection from another Digital First publisher, so I was feeling even more sorry for myself than usual. But at the end of the week, I was at my desk about to schedule Harry’s Friday Email up when the email arrived: ‘Offer of publication’ the subject said. I will genuinely never forget that feeling. Harry's email very nearly missed it's Friday slot through the tears. 

After the offer, I did go on to sign with an agent and my book, All My Lies, came out in April 2021. 

Perhaps if I’d have carried on submitting to agents, I’d have eventually found the one and gone the traditional route. But quite honestly, without the One Day opportunity, I wonder if the book would ever have seen the light of day.  

I’m so grateful that I saw the tweet that changed my writing life and I’m so excited that we can now bring a similar opportunity to a whole host of new writers through our #JerichoWritersOneDay partnership.  

If you're thinking, 'if agents are rejecting me there's no way a publisher will want me' then tell that voice to be quiet and submit anyway. You just never know. 

Sophie x  

Plus, don’t miss: 

We’ve recently released 160 new one-to-one slots with agents and book doctors. These are booking up extremely fast (as usual) so grab yours before they disappear. 

Welcome to the Jericho Writers team, Natali J. Simmonds! 

We’re thrilled to welcome Natali to the Jericho team as our new Digital Content Manager. Natali will be commissioning new articles on everything writing and publishing – watch this space for more! 

Added a post 

Now’s a pretty good time to join Jericho Writers

As we say farewell to the Summer Festival of Writing, we look forward to some exciting stuff coming to members of Jericho Writers. If you’ve been thinking about joining us, now would be the perfect time to do so! 

MEMBERSHIP: Join Jericho Writers 

We’ve given our membership 'Join Us' page a makeover to include sneak peeks of masterclasses, video courses, AgentMatch and everything else writers get when they join us. When we say we give you everything we can, we mean it. 

JOIN JERICHO WRITERS 

If you’d like to write your memoir or other creative non-fiction project alongside a top author and commissioning editor, we have limited places available for the next online course, starting in October. 

SECURE YOUR PLACE 

BURSARY: Apply for the Self-Edit Your Novel Bursary 

Deadline TOMORROW! If you’re an underrepresented writer, you could win a fully-funded place on our upcoming Self-Edit your Novel tutored course, now SOLD OUT until 2023. It’s free to enter and we urge you to give it a go (even if you’ve been previously unsuccessful!) 

APPLY NOW 

MEMBER EVENT: September is for platform-building!

We have online events every week in September for members, themed around building your author platform. We kick things off with the brilliant Neema Shah in Self-Marketing for the Reluctant Author on 2 September. 

FIND OUT MORE 

SPOTLIGHT ON: Hannah Schofield from LBA Books 

“I love to be introduced to a strong voice and compelling character, and to get quickly into the heart of the story – especially if there’s something exciting that kicks off the narrative and will make me want to read on!” 

Hannah has agent one-to-one sessions available with us, so do keep an eye out for those. 

READ NOW

SUCCESS STORY: Rosalind Tate smashes her indie debut 

Thank you to Jericho Writers alumni Rosalind Tate for sending in her self-pub success story this week, racking up an impressive 180 reviews and 11,000 sales worldwide for her debut time-travel novel, Stranded. Congratulations, Rosalind!  

FIND OUT MORE 

What’s coming up for members 

With back-to-school season upon us, I thought I’d do a little sneak-peak preview of some of the things we’re cooking up for members of Jericho Writers between now and the end of the year.  

To kick things off, we have six live events in September themed around building an author platform, featuring amazing names such as Clare Mackintosh and Neema Shah. These are for all authors, no matter how long you’ve been writing, or how you’re looking to publish.  

Those of you who have a Summer Festival ticket will be able to watch all replays of events until the end of September, when they will be turned into member-exclusive films – that's over 35 new masterclasses, featuring the likes of Caleb Azumah Nelson, Mark Dawson and Onjali Q. Raúf. If you’d like to keep watching, just become a member! 

If that’s not enough, we’ll soon be announcing a couple of exciting new partnerships with a Big 5 publisher (see next week’s newsletter for more!) and writing platform, Wattpad. We also have possibly the most exciting month of events we’ve ever had coming up in October; new video courses announcing; and some exciting new changes to the website – all of which I can only allude to rather cryptically at this point. 

In short, it’s a pretty good time to become a member of Jericho Writers. Whether you join us for a month, or for the year, we’d love to have you.

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

We’ve recently released 160 new one-to-one slots with agents and book doctors. These are booking up extremely fast (as usual) so grab yours before they disappear. 

Our Friday Night Live Winner, Zahirra Dayal  

In case you missed it, we were thrilled to crown Zahirra Dayal as the winner at the FNL final last week with her incredible piece, ‘Invincible Jacarandas’. Congratulations Zahirra, we can’t wait to see what you do next!  

Added a post 

It’s deadline week! 

We’re reaching the final deadline for applications for the 2021-22 Ultimate Novel Writing Course this week, as well as final calls for our Writing for Children online course AND the Self-Edit Your Novel Bursary. If you’re not too busy with your applications, we also have reminders of the final Summer Festival of Writing events as our summer draws to a close.  

COURSE: Last chance to apply for The Ultimate Novel Writing Course 2021-22  

FINAL DEADLINE 27 AUGUST! No other course gives you this level of feedback and guidance on your manuscript. If you’re serious about writing a publishable book this year, submit your application now for either the UK/Europe or the International course.  

DOWNLOAD THE PROSPECTUS (UK/EUROPE) 

DOWNLOAD THE PROSPECTUS (US/INTERNATIONAL) 

TUTORED COURSES: Writing for Children starts 3 September (Discounts for members) 

Our online tutored course on Writing for Children starts next week! This course is getting fantastic feedback and calls for Round 2, so make sure you check it out if you’d like guidance from an expert tutor and a small class of like-minded writers.  

SECURE YOUR PLACE 

BURSARY: Apply for the Self-Edit Your Novel Bursary 

Deadline 1 September! If you’re an underrepresented writer, you could win a fully-funded place on our upcoming Self-Edit your Novel tutored course, now SOLD OUT until 2023. It’s free to enter and we urge you to give it a go (even if you’ve been previously unsuccessful!) 

APPLY NOW 

MEMBER EVENT: Writing and publishing a series 

TODAY. Series sell, particularly in genre fiction such as romance, mysteries & thrillers, and sci-fi. This workshop looks at how to plan, write and launch a new series successfully as a self-published author.

MEMBERS - REGISTER NOW 

NON-MEMBERS - JOIN US TO WATCH

EVENTS: Final week for the Summer Festival of Writing! 

How is it the end of August already?! This week, we’re ending on a high with a fabulous panel on writing for Young Adults on Thursday and the one and only Friday Night Live Finale on Friday. 

FIND OUT MORE

SUCCESS STORY: Hodder Studio pre-empts 'irresistibly compelling' debut by Wiz Wharton 

What a delight it was to open The Bookseller today and see Friday Night Live finalist 2020 Wiz Wharton! Ghost Girl, Banana has already sold rights across the world and we couldn’t be prouder. Congratulations, Wiz!  

READ THE FULL ANNOUNCEMENT

Hear from the tutors of the Ultimate Novel Writing Course International 

With the deadline for the Ultimate Novel Writing Course International approaching this week, we caught up with tutor Lindsey Alexander to find out more about the mentoring aspect of this super-charged, year-long course.  

“The mentoring component of the UNWC is one-on-one customized coaching that’s calibrated to your needs as you move through the course. Your mentor is your creative collaborator, someone who’s going to get to know you and your project really well in order to help you ensure that your novel reflects your intentions in a way that’s going to captivate your reader. Each month, you’ll submit a portion of your work-in-progress to your mentor. You and your mentor will connect for a conversation over Zoom or by phone, typically for about an hour. You can also opt for written feedback or choose a combination of the two. 

In our conversations, we think big and brainstorm, review specific passages in your manuscript to look at what’s working well and where there might be room for improvement and navigate the ups and downs of the writing life as you build toward a sustainable creative practice you’ll be able to stick with long after the course is over.

Between these conversations, your mentor is there to field your questions, concerns, and middle-of-the-night epiphanies, and each month, your mentor will gather their group of students for a Zoom conversation to reflect on the tutorials and discuss progress and challenges together. You’ll also have the option of continuing your work with your mentor through a manuscript assessment in the final months of the course.” 

The deadline to apply for this international course is THIS FRIDAY. Find out more and submit your application here. Or read the full interview with all tutors on this International course here.  

Sarah J x 

Plus, don’t miss: 

Brand-new one-to-ones available 

BLOG: Writing an entrepreneurial book by Jan Cavelle

Whether it’s a business or a book, the journey isn’t easy – and Jan kindly shares her experience of non-fiction publishing with us here. 

Added a post 

Who would play your main character in the film? 

Perhaps every writer daydreams about what their book would be like as a film. In this newsletter, we find out more about the process of making that happen in real life, as well as tutored courses with deadlines coming up very soon, and a final flurry of Summer Festival Events.  

COURSE: Apply for The Ultimate Novel Writing Course 2021-22  

10 DAYS LEFT TO APPLY! No other course gives you this level of feedback and guidance on your manuscript. If you’re serious about writing a publishable book this year, submit your application now for either the UK/Europe or the International course.  

TUTORED COURSES: Writing for Children starts 3 September (Discounts for members) 

Our online tutored course on Writing for Children starts in just over 2 weeks! This course is getting rave reviews, so do check it out if you’d like guidance from an expert tutor and a small class of like-minded writers.  

SECURE YOUR PLACE 

AGENT FEEDBACK: Brand-new one-to-ones available 

We’ve recently released 160 new one-to-one slots with agents and book doctors. They make it super easy for anyone to get direct feedback on their work – plus, loads of our success stories actually met their agents through these sessions!  

BOOK YOURS TODAY  

EVENTS: Summer Festival events happening this week (Discounts for members) 

This week, join us for a panel on Disability Representation; a fantastic Under-represented Writers Showcase; In Conversation with Bolu Babalola and Katie Packer; and an event on Turning Books to Film and TV. 

GET YOUR TICKET 

AGENTMATCH: Spotlight on Catherine Cho – Paper Literary 

Our Spotlight agent this week is Catherine Cho from Paper Literary, who says:  

"I understand how vulnerable it is to present your work, and how personal it feels, even as much as you try to separate yourself from your work. I try to remember that behind every submission is an individual." 

VIEW THE HIGHLIGHTS

MEMBERS - READ THE FULL INTERVIEW ON AGENTMATCH 

SUCCESS STORY: Cover reveal! 

It’s been great to see community member Laure van Rensburg’s cover for her debut novel revealed this week! NOBODY BUT US looks brilliant – check it out below.  

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN THE COMMUNITY

How to get your book made into a movie 

Oh, how I wish I had some first-person experience to share with you on this one! Like many of you, I’ve spent a decade or so imagining who would play my main characters in the movie (Elle Fanning – always). But the reality of having a book made into a film or TV series isn’t so easy.  

Summer Festival of Writing ticket-holders have a great event on this planned on 23 August with two film/TV scouts, but he’s a little sneak peek at the process of turning a book into a movie... 

If you have an agent/publisher:  

If you hold the rights to film/TV then your agent will pitch your book on your behalf to scouts, or producers (if your publisher holds the rights, then they will do this). If there’s interest, then the producer may ask for an option on the rights, which will give them exclusivity to them for a set period of time, for a small fee. For many books, this is as far as they’ll go to being made into a movie. For the lucky ones that manage to get off the ground, the author is paid a much larger fee and work begins on production.  

If you’re self-publishing:  

The process can look the same for getting an option and hopefully getting that through to production, but there are other things authors can do themselves to help this process along.  

You can contact producers yourself; write your own screenplay to speed the process along; submit your screenplay idea/draft to competitions or production companies directly; or even hire your own film team to make the movie for you (if you have the capital and know-how to do so!)  

Meanwhile, for those of us still daydreaming – who would play your main character in the movie? Share your casting dreams in the Community here.  

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

BLOG: When a writing course is everything you wanted and more 

We catch up with Australian-based writer Florence Gladwell to see what she made of the last Writing for Children tutored course (spoiler alert: she thought it was pretty darn good!)  

New Community Book Club (Open to all)

Each month, we'll be hosting a live meeting with the author of the chosen book for that month, chatting to them about their writing process and asking your questions. 

Added a forum 

From Sarah: 

Oh, how I wish I had some first-person experience to share with you on this one! Like many of you, I’ve spent a decade or so imagining who would play my main characters in the movie (Elle Fanning – always). But the reality of having a book made into a film or TV series isn’t so easy.  

Summer Festival of Writing ticket-holders have a great event on this planned on 23 August with two film/TV scouts, but he’s a little sneak peek at the process of turning a book into a movie... 

If you hold the rights to film/TV then your agent will pitch your book on your behalf to scouts, or producers (if your publisher holds the rights, then they will do this). If there’s interest, then the producer may ask for an option on the rights, which will give them exclusivity to them for a set period of time, for a small fee. For many books, this is as far as they’ll go to being made into a movie. For the lucky ones that manage to get off the ground, the author is paid a much larger fee and work begins on production.  

The process can look the same for getting an option and hopefully getting that through to production, but there are other things authors can do themselves to help this process along.  

You can contact producers yourself; write your own screenplay to speed the process along; submit your screenplay idea/draft to competitions or production companies directly; or even hire your own film team to make the movie for you (if you have the capital and know-how to do so!)  

Meanwhile, for those of us still daydreaming – who would play your main character in the movie? Share your casting dreams below!

Sarah J 

Added a forum 

From Sarah: 

Meanwhile, for those of us still daydreaming – who would play your main character in the movie? Share your casting dreams below!

Sarah J 

Added a post 

Debut book publishing revealed 

It might feel impossible right now, but someday soon - you might be a debut author. It only takes one emailed ‘yes’ to land a literary agent, and then as little as a few months to secure a deal. So what should you know NOW about that process? And how can you help yourself get there?  

COURSE: Last places remaining on the Ultimate Novel Writing Course USA/International 

The UK version of this course has now SOLD OUT. Grab the final spaces remaining on the US/International course to turn your idea into a publishable novel in the next year. This extra-special course only runs once a year, so don’t miss out!  

MEMBER EVENTS: From draft to publication - and beyond (Member Exclusive) 

TODAY we have Aisha Bushby taking us through the process of turning a draft into a published book, and tomorrow we have Aliya Ali-Afzal revealing all about being a debut author. Don’t miss these! 

MEMBERS - REGISTER NOW 

NON-MEMBERS - FIND OUT MORE 

TUTORED COURSES: Writing for Children and Creative Non-Fiction (Discounts for members) 

Deadlines for our autumn online tutored courses on Writing for Children and Creative Non-Fiction are coming up fast! Do check them out if you’d like guidance on these from an expert tutor and a small class of like-minded writers.  

SEE ALL TUTORED COURSES 

This week, we’re In Conversation with Poorna Bell on 12 August and chatting Creative Non-Fiction with Eleanor Wood on 16 August. 

GET YOUR TICKET 

BLOG: What does book coaching really mean?  

We chat with the tutors behind the Ultimate Novel Writing Course US/International to find out how author coaching works and why it could drastically improve your writing.  

READ NOW 

SUCCESS STORY: Caron Mckinlay signs with Bloodhound Books 

HUGE congratulations to Jericho Writers member Caron Mckinlay, whose novel, The Storytellers, will be out in May 2022 with independent publisher, Bloodhound Books. In Caron’s own words, it’s a “dream come true”. Hurray!   

A four-year traditional debut timeline

Writing is a slow process – and traditional publishing isn’t much faster. Here's a sample four-year timeline for an author with an idea for a book, seeing it through to publication. NB: This is an example only – mine took much longer than this and for others it’s much shorter!  

January 2020: You have an idea for a novel and start writing it.  

July 2020: You finish the first draft and start self-editing.  

October 2020: You get feedback from beta readers and perhaps send it off for a Manuscript Assessment, to get an expert opinion, and then re-write again on feedback.  

January 2021: You start submitting to agents.  

July 2021: After a few rejections, you sign with a literary agent, who has some edits of her own.  

January 2022: Your agent is happy with the manuscript and starts submitting it to editors for publication.  

March 2022: You sign with a publisher, who sends you yet more edits to do! 

December 2022: Your structural edits are signed off by your publisher and you’re sent for even more edits – this time from a copyeditor and proofreader. You might see a cover at this point and can celebrate an official announcement.  

July 2023: Proof copies are printed and sent to reviewers.  

January 2024: Your debut book is officially published.  

Of course, this timeline can vary wildly, but the amount of edits you have to do is roughly always the same. What are your thoughts reading this schedule? Have you had experience with a different timeline? Share them in the Community here.  

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

Literary agent one-to-ones (10% member discount) 

We’re running one-to-one calls with literary agents and book doctors throughout the summer. Anyone can book one of these – just choose your expert and book a time to suit you.  

Each month, we'll be hosting a live meeting with the author of the chosen book for that month, chatting to them about their writing process and asking your questions. 

Added a post 

The mid-summer event extravaganza is here 

We’ve got some HUGE live events happening nearly every day for the next week, crossing Membership and the Summer Festival of Writing. Get the lowdown in this newsletter, as well as more success stories, agent spotlights and brand-new tutored courses open to you right now. Let’s do this! 

FINAL DEADLINE APPROACHING! No other course gives you this level of feedback and guidance on your manuscript. If you’re serious about writing a publishable book this year, submit your application now for either the UK/Europe or the International course.  

TUTORED COURSES: Writing for Children and Creative Non-Fiction (Discounts for members) 

Deadlines for our autumn online tutored courses on Writing for Children and Creative Non-Fiction are coming up fast! Do check them out if you’d like guidance on these from an expert tutor and a small class of like-minded writers.  

SEE ALL TUTORED COURSES 

MEMBER EVENT: Building a Picture Book with Hachette’s Ellie Brough (Member Exclusive) 

TOMORROW. Ellie will answer some of the most common questions she gets when it comes to picture book writing and demystify the picture book publishing process. Not one to miss if you’re writing in this genre. 

JOIN US 

Join us for a Book Doctor Surgery with Debi Alper and Emma Darwin TODAY; an interview with the amazing Middle Grade author Onjali Q. Raúf on 5 Aug; In Conversation with Lydia Millett on 6 Aug; Revising Your Whole Novel with Rebecca Horsfall on 7 Aug and The Making of Girl A on Monday 9 Aug. Phew! 

GET YOUR TICKET 

AGENTMATCH: Spotlight on Angharad Kowal Stannus (Member Exclusive) 

Our Spotlight agent this week is Angharad Kowal Stannus: "When I’m reading, I look for that immediate connection to the book, either to the voice of the writer, or something that really pulls me in and interests me from the very beginning." Read some highlights below and get the full interview on Angharad's AgentMatch profile. 

INTERVIEW HIGHLIGHTS

JOIN US TO READ THE FULL INTERVIEW

SUCCESS STORY: An interview with Felicia Yap 6 years on from her Friday Night Live win 

This new blog looks at Felicia’s career since she got snapped up by a huge agent after her Friday Night Live win in 2015 and sold her high-concept thriller for a six-figure sum. Completely inspiring stuff.  

READ NOW 

4 ‘rules’ for writing stories for young children 

We have some exciting stuff going on for children’s writers this week, including a member event from Commissioning Editor, Ellie Brough at Hachette; a Summer Festival interview with middle grade hero, Onjali Q. Rauf; and our new Writing for Children tutored course starting in just one month (grab your place now!)  Plus, our Writing for Children tutor Eleanor Hawken has taken over our Instagram account. Head over here or search @jerichowriters for prompts, tips, and thoughts throughout the week.

But what are the rules for writing stories for babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers? Although rules are always there to be broken, here are some common things you’ll find in books for young children: 

1: The ‘good’ guys always win  

Generally, books for this age group tend to live in a world where good guys prevail bag guys learn their lesson to be better, more accepting people/animals/monsters. What a lovely world that is.  

2: Your voice matters 

Be careful with language and choose words that are fun to say, whilst still being simple/clear enough for a young person to understand. This is why writing for this age group is harder than you think!  

3: Leave room for the illustrations 

The clue is in the name – picture books rely hugely on their illustrators to bring them to life. Ensure your text leaves room for exciting illustrations and isn’t too descriptive.  

4: Use all of your senses 

Be onomatopoeic in your description of the world, using sights, sounds, touch, taste and smell to describe a world a toddler can relate to. Rhythm, repetition and rhyme can be useful devices to help with this! 

What rules do you see being followed and broken in books for this age? Join for free and share them in the Community here.  

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

We’re running one-to-one calls with literary agents and book doctors throughout the summer. Anyone can book one of these – just choose your expert and book a time to suit you.  

Mentoring (10% member discount)  

Added a post 

Let’s nerd-out on books for a bit. 

We’re celebrating all things books in this newsletter, exploring that beautiful, blurry line between readers and writers. Hear from booksellers, learn about reading as a writer and catch up on all the brilliant new stuff we’ve got going on at Jericho Writers this week. We’re also trialing popping your success stories in newsletters, alongside other stuff you might find interesting – let us know what you think! 

Places are filling up fast! No other course gives you this level of feedback and guidance on your manuscript. If you’re serious about writing a publishable book this year, submit your application now for either the UK/Europe or the International course.  

VIDEO COURSES: Writing for Young People and Amazon Ads (Member exclusive)  

Did you see that we’ve recently added TWO brand-new video courses to the Jericho Writers membership? Check out Writing for Young People with Melvin Burgess and Amazon Ads with Nicholas Erik – available now. 

MEMBERS - VIEW ALL VIDEO COURSES 

NON-MEMBERS - JOIN US 

Join us for A Bookseller’s Tale this evening with Martin Latham; the brilliant Debi Alper on Psychic Distance on 28 July; Writing What You Don’t Know with Naomi Ishiguro on 29 and the second shortlisting Friday Night live event this Friday. Don’t miss a word! 

GET YOUR TICKET 

BLOG: Reading like a writer 

Bookstagrammer and Jericho team member Elsie Granther dropped part two of her ‘Reading Like a Writer’ blog this week, this time focusing on dialogue, setting, and voice. 

READ NOW 

SUCCESS STORY: Our own Comedy Women in Print! 

Congratulations to Self-Edit Your Novel alumni Jane Ayres and Emma Williams (also FNL shortlisted!) for making the longlist of the Comedy Women in Print prize alongside some HUGE names. Smashing it!  

SEE THE LONGLIST 

Why booksellers are your new best friends 

Readers have varied their reading habits in the last decade or so, choosing to switch-it-up between physical print books, eBooks and audiobooks. This is wonderful news for writers, as there are now even more ways to get our words in front of readers – opening opportunities like Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP); Digital First publishers and even direct to audio.  

That being said, large traditional publishers still dedicate a huge amount of focus to the sale of physical books through bookshops. Because no amount of marketing ever quite replicates the success of genuine reader-recommendation - booksellers offer that all-important in-person hand-selling direct to readers. Get a bookshop chain behind your book, and you’ll see sales of physical books shoot up nicely.  

This is where we authors come in. When it comes to traditional print publishing, there’s not a lot the average author can do to make a serious dent in sales – but we can make friends with people who can. We can drop into our local bookstore, chat to the staff and activate our bookish-nerd powers. And that’s something all of us can do now, before we’ve even written a word. Because when it comes time to announce your print book, booksellers will be your new best friends. 

And hey – even if you end up self-publishing, or in a digital-only deal, you still get to meet the most marvelous people.  

Speaking of marvelous booksellers – do check out the fantastic Fox Lane Books who holds copies of all Summer Festival books.  

Do you have a bookselling bud? What are your favourite bookshops around the world? Share your recommendations in the Community here.  

Sarah J 

Plus, don’t miss: 

Info
Full Name:
Esther | Marketing Assistant | Jericho Writers
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
My Posts