Heather Bell

According to personality tests, I'm an 'Advocate'.

Relationships
Empty

Why 80% of a writer's success has nothing to do with the writing! The relevant bit starts around the 8 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4H6KCGDmWM

Their are book clubs that will highlight a discount to their members. A freebie short story doesn't seem like overkill. Some writers are giving away signed posters of the cover art, which wouldn't be very expensive.

-Heather

Hi Janet, Watched the link. Good advice for horror writers. Best advice for indie/self published authors was that he spends two years on each book (As a reader, I wish more did).

Saw a book the other day that comes with free earrings (character on cover has dangling earrings). Unique, but don't think I'll be trying it (or buying it).

-Heather

I feel Bob's pain. I'm trying to get to grips with Twitter (image resizing by pixel ratio - Argh!)

Websites need to recognize that people come with different levels of techy knowledge and find user-friendly ways around the one-size-fits-all approach.

-Heather

Hi Janet,

Seems no one else can remember that name either! I wonder if this is of any use to you?

https://insights.bookbub.com/category/book-marketing-ideas/

-Heather

What I’m learning from the Amazon numbers?

Good book – bad numbers – Why?

Example: No Shelter (Holly Lin Series). Professional editor Ray Rhamey* says of the first page: The writing is good, the voice appealing. The scene is set, and characters are introduced in an understandable way. Even better, story questions are raised with the promise of shooting ahead.

All sounds great. So why is its Amazon average only 4.2? Here’s what the three-star reviews reveal:

Revealing review: Well written, well edited but difficult to engage with the characters, particularly the heroine. Her history, motivations etc. are scattered through out the book and sparsely, at that. I also winced at the way she treated one of the children she cared for. Pressure points? Really?

Revealing review: 3 Star rating because of the conclusion or should I say lack of conclusion — story just stop/ends as if the author got tired of writing and just said “THE END”. Excellent plot and fast moving with a lot of wild twist and turns. Hate the story series episodes that do not have an ending as they only point you to read the next book to see what happens. For this reason I do not recommend spending the time to get to the unfinished last page. Sad because it is a good read up to that point.

Now, of course, we don’t all like the same things. But these three-star reviewers were ready and willing to love this book, but felt the author let them down in some crucial way. And, a 4.2 average for a well-written book suggests they were not alone.

If you would like to spend your procrastinating time learning from other writer’s mistakes. Here’s Ray Rhamey’s link (and I’m guessing you know how to find Amazon): *https://www.floggingthequill.com/flogging_the_quill/2021/03/index.html

Fantasy took two - one for him and one for his world-building prologue.

Love: Literary wished for a cushion

It’s reached number 9 on Amazon, in the 'Fiction Anthologies' – yeh!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to anyone who purchased.

A book of 100 very short (175 words or less) stories inspired by the news (Trump to pandemic). Useful for when your brain needs a reboot, a prompt, a different way of thinking, or something to do while waiting for the microwave to ping. £2.49 all profits to a children’s reading charity.

If you can spare £2.49 ($3.44 ish) for this good cause, find the book on AMAZON by entering B08Z8JG2CR, or 'Topically Challenged' into the search box.

My favourite stories are:

33. Brown of the CED

and

92. Stories I Never Wrote

I like the funny ones. You might prefer the ones on the dark side. If you get a chance to read it, please update this post with your favourite(s).

-Heather

Hi Rick,

Where can I find out more to understand better?

Info
Full Name:
Heather Bell
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard
My Posts