Blakeney

It is not death that a man should fear but he should fear never beginning to live.

Marcus Aurelius

Relationships
Empty
Blakeney Discussions
  •  · 
If there's one thing that I find annoying as a writer, it's the use of the term "women's fiction", a…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks, Catherine. I've got my head around it now.
  •  · 
Just a quick query: when I log in to Townhouse, it comes pre-set with the Jericho password and I hav…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I've followed Rick's tip and clicked on "remember me" and got the tick but it came back crossed when…
  •  · 
Is there a way of editing a post you have entered in Townhouse, after you've sent it?  Sometimes you…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you to Kate, D.M. Costa, and Holly.  I'll leap along and do the necessary right now.
  •  · 
Last night's webinar was the third I've joined since becoming a member of Jericho Writers.  I was es…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Please excuse the use of the word "doing" in my first sentence.  I don't know how that got in there.
Doh!  I seem to have mis-posted my peer-to-peer review request.  It's available under Jericho Writer…
  •  · 
Well, that's my Christmas up the spout, then.  Still, it will be worse for many people.  At least, w…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · I hope you all managed to have a good time, however you spent it.  I now have to work out a way of g…

We agree your work is well-written with a consistent and absorbing narrative, we believe that your work deserves a chance to reach the wider market.

So why not offer a trad. contract?  I believe this type of offer is otherwise known as "partnership".  It's a euphemism.  It's the money they're after.  Keep away.

If you are a member of the Society of Authors, is there anything they can do if contracts are broken?

Surely no agent or publisher would reject work just because you'd used double letter spaces after a full stop, or double quotes for speech?  As far as double quote marks are concerned, it doesn't look at all right to me when someone in your novel is quoting something, so that heftier double marks end up inside single ones.

Yes, it's interesting to know what others think and it could also be fascinating to have the author's answers to questions. 

Don't be afraid to express your opinions if the author is present!  You are entitled to them and, who knows, you might bring out something that hasn't even occurred to that person and you don't have to be offensive about it.  (I'm sure you wouldn't be).  Anyway, it will probably be possible just to eavesdrop.

I've decided to give it a whirl.

What genres of book will be chosen?  I like the idea of this but feel I'll rule myself out of most of the books by being an old bag with a dislike of 4-letter worded novels and those written in the present tense.

Added a comment to Introduction 

Welcome to Townhouse, Nandan.  This is a friendly place.

Welcome to the fold, Alex.

Your post here shows that you do have a talent for writing.  I know that there's a writers' centre in Norwich, where U.E.A. is based.  I don't have details and don't know how to do a link but there may be something there that you can take advantage of.  The very best of luck, Anna.

"Rescuing Sycamore House"

This is an extract from the first chapter of a novel set partly in the present day and partly in the 1950s.  (genre unknown).  The main character, Damian, is a conceited local newspaper reporter, who is disgruntled in a cafe after being sent to cover an agricultural show.

At a time when most jobs were difficult to come by, I couldn’t just walk out but the frustration caused by a lack of the progress I deserved was beginning to chafe at my psyche.

A regional newspaper couldn’t be the height of journalistic ambition.  It was the launch pad – but I couldn’t seem to get off base.  An editor with no imagination didn’t help, rejecting as he did my ideas and favouring others with the meatier items on the few occasions when there were any.  When I had started with The Herald, I would have been happy enough to have been sent on the job I had just done but now, three years later, it seemed like an insult.

I’d have to keep looking for something else in a difficult market –it was the only thing to do.  Besides, I might not have a choice after speaking to Nick.  I’d have another go at re-vamping my C. V. as well.  Maybe I hadn’t made enough of my many abilities.  Someone at one of the nationals must recognise how I could enhance their offerings, surely?

“So, this is where you’ve disappeared to!” said a familiar female voice.  I looked aside.  To my irritation, it was The Herald’s photographer, Katy.  “I saw you at the window as I drove past.  You can’t claim this on expenses you know, Damian!”

“I know.  I didn’t see you.  Just taking a break.”

“Well, I thought I’d better stop and have a word.   Nick isn’t too happy with you at the moment.  You told me so yourself.”

Obviously, Katy was glad of the excuse to talk to me again. 

I got Jane Austen; however, I have delighted you for long enough.

I feel much as L. does.  The very expression "women's fiction" sounds  dismissive and implies that only women should read it whereas, because there is no corresponding expression for men, everyone should read it.  As far as I'm concerned, there's no men's or women's fiction; only fiction.

Info
Full Name:
Blakeney
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard