Victoria Kuzmina

I was made in the capital of (dying) USSR. They threw Armenian, Russian, Jewish, Ukrainian and a dash of Gypsy blood in my system, mixed it, shook it and voilà - here I am!  Six years ago I moved to France, living “between” two countries since then. I identify myself as a Russian with Western set of values.

As a writer, I tell female-driven stories. They’re outcasts from society’s pov. Living their lives guided by their own rules. Getting lots of sh*t for that. These stories are hilarious and sad, ironic and gentle. The tone depends on the "label" I'm exploring. (Label - a stereotype society tags women with, e.g. childless egoist, angry activist, disappointed men-hater, men-eater, crazy cat lady and more, much more). Preferable genres: literary and noir fiction... or a mixture of both!  

PS: English is not my native language. I write and think in it, but I also deviate to dreaming in Russian and swearing in French. Maybe that's my writer's voice!  

Relationships
Empty
Victoria Kuzmina Discussions
  •  · 
Hi there, A quick question: do you guys have podcast or Clubhouse club? Or maybe you're planning to …
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Yes. Episode from March 9th interviewing their agents. Excellent and very enlightening. A must liste…
  •  · 
I'm doing a research on Essex county. I found looooooots of information and atmospheric photos of ma…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you very much for these insights!I have a very clear (and a bit dreamy) picture of the area ))
  •  · 
There is a thread about self-editing and when it's time to stop (so helpful!).I have a prelude quest…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thanks. I think you're right but I'm also enjoying editing and experimenting. I  am learning a lot f…
  •  · 
Hi all!I'm reading about 4-act story structure, aka Japanese narrative, aka "a story without a confl…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Alison, yes to European films and series! In terms of publishing, that's why I want to try this s…
  •  · 
Oooooookay. This is the second time I share this sample. The first time I shared it with a filmmaker…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you for this review!Great idea about using 3rd person for flashbacks! And I heard about scribo…
  •  · 
Oh well, and a cake too 😁 Hi all! / Bonjour! / Privet!2020 was... an amazing year for me personally!…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Hi Rachel!Yes, I'm already enjoying the atmosphere of the Townhouse! Looking forward to finding more…

Congratulations, David!

It's stories like yours that keep me going (writing) and believing! 

I rely on my characters. Too much, perhaps )) But! If the plot twist would be "out of character" it won't feel natural. 

PS: thank you for sharing the article! 

Checking this one atm (aka procrastinating from the job 😁).

Thank you for the recommendation, Jane Markland!   

Added a forum 

Hi there, 

A quick question: do you guys have podcast or Clubhouse club? Or maybe you're planning to do so? 

I have to confess: the "publishing is impossible" mantra got me. I asked myself: what's the point then? I can write for myself, of course, but it'll be journaling or blogging, at best. And - that's important - it won't take time and I'd probably sleep better at night. And my tunnel syndrome would go away, miraculously. 

So in a way, reality check is discouraging (at least for me).

On the other hand, I - somehow - don't want to quit. Stories in my head and my characters follow me. I have no heart to betray them. And I don't want to. So yeah ok, it seems that chances are minuscule (if they are, at all), but... But! I won't quit writing. 

PS: I always remind myself - if 50 shades of grey were published, we all have a chance. Or at least, a hope. Or... a dream.   

Thank you very much for these insights!

I have a very clear (and a bit dreamy) picture of the area ))

Added a forum 

I'm doing a research on Essex county. I found looooooots of information and atmospheric photos of manors and houses. Of gardens and parks. But! I can't find a cohesive information on 1) seasons in Essex (winter, spring, summer, autumn - something in between?) and 2) typical flowers (their seasonality). 

I know about english roses, of course, but I'd like to have more diversity. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!   

Added a forum 

There is a thread about self-editing and when it's time to stop (so helpful!).

I have a prelude question to this topic: When do you stop writing your first draft? 

I'm on day 25 of first-drafting and I'm a bit stuck. I have clear beginning and ending, I know what should happen in the middle (had a month of prep before even writing a first sentence. In other words, yes, I have an outline and 15 beat sheets for main characters). But I fear that the burn-out stage is approaching. I don't want to get overwhelmed with my story! So, should I just stop first-drafting and take a beak before revisioning or... 45,000 words first draft of 85,000 novel is too short?    

Added a forum 

Hi all!

I'm reading about 4-act story structure, aka Japanese narrative, aka "a story without a conflict." I'm inspired! And no, there is still a conflict in the story, but the structure is not build (or, rather, obsessed with) around the conflict. 

Act 1: Introduction

Act 2: Development

Act 3: Twist (complication)

Act 4: Conclusion (reconciliation)

This structure allows a slow-paced, reflective storytelling. Have you tried this approach? I'm tempted! 

Added a forum 

Oooooookay. This is the second time I share this sample. The first time I shared it with a filmmaker and she loved the prose. She said: "I'm seeing it in my head. Do whatever it takes to turn this story into a movie." Wow.

Now I want to see the critique from the fellow writers. This sample is the beginning (3000 words) of the short story (less than 10000 words). Genre: literary fiction. The story deals with one of the stereotypes society plasters on women (childless egoist) and with the power of words. Belle is an orphan who is adopted for wrong reasons. Her life drastically changes when she meets Florence - a pianist. The idyllic world of those two characters shatters when Florence's grandma delivers a "good intentions" monologue.  

My prime concerns are:

English is not my native language, so correct me if you can! What do you think about the command of language? 

Pacing - what do you think?

But I welcome all possible critique. Thank you! 

PS: I've adapted this story into an animated short film script. It's in a revision mode atm. 

Added a forum 

Oh well, and a cake too 😁 

Hi all! / Bonjour! / Privet!

2020 was... an amazing year for me personally! First lockdown in France kicked me into the deep reflection mood. And I finally managed to silence a self-doubt monster. We were waltzing around for 15 years, my longest relationship. Anyways, I decided to get serious about writing and to aim at getting published.

I write female-driven stories. Literary fiction and noir are my genres. Stereotyping and stigmatising are themes I love to explore and play around with. At the moment, I'm digging deep into the "childless egoist" label society plasters on women. 

Currently in the pipeline: I finished a short story which I'm adapting into an animated short film script. Short screenplay is in the works along with a podcast script. An outline for a noir novel is here too. 

Seems like a lot, but 1) I can't focus on one thing (impossible, I tried everything) and 2) I wasted to much time already!

Happy to be here! Looking forward to everything ))   

changed a profile cover 
Info
Full Name:
Victoria Kuzmina
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard