Paul-Dominique

Writing in the genre historical mystery. Historical period: early Roman Empire. My library is full of all kinds of mystery, spy, thriller stories, as well as biographies and ancient authors (before AD 300).

Relationships
Empty
Paul-Dominique Discussions
  •  · 
Hi, everyone. I thought I'd share what I learned from a 15 minute talk I just had with an agent - th…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you, and cheers ! 😀 
Added a comment to Hello! 

Hello Neil, welcome to the community. Historical mystery/crime is my poison. Hoping to finish another (and final) edit, then find someone to build a website for me, then publish. Then hope that the world will notice !

Welcome to the group, Corryb ! Not sure which re-edit I'm on at the moment, there have been so many. I'm ready to admit that not all the readers are going to be pleased all the time, so I think my current re-edit is going to be the last.... Time to get on with getting it (self) published. Oh, did I mention that I still don't have a website, a fb page, a twitter account, a reader magnet, a decent photo of self, etc. etc. etc. ?

Using the multiple POV works well with crime or mystery stories, and adapt well to the screen. I've seen a number of tv programmes where the viewer sees the crime scene or another significant place or moment again and again, but each time from the POV of a different suspect. Needless to say, one doesn't see the same thing again and again.

One reader of my WIP complained about my jumping POV within a single chapter, to another two readers who had no problem with it. You can't please all the people all of the time. (In other words, what Harry said : anything goes.) Conclusion for my chapter : the multiple POV's are staying !

Hi, Janet. You aren't the only one to wonder at the sadness and irony of statements such as Faulks' in that interview. As Eric said, that viewpoint has become fashionable. This is my own, very unfashionable view : humans are a paradox. Knowing someone for a very long time does not necessarily mean that you know them well. Siblings who grow up together and keep in touch regularly often find out things about each other that astonish them. Spouses can surprise each other even after 40 years of marriage. Because people can change, and do. I "know" plenty of males that might share many aspects of my socio-psycho-sexuo-economic background, but of whom I would write very unconvincingly and poorly. In fine, I write about whomever the hell I want to write about, because I give each character, male or female, a part of my own soul, which is very much closer than I can get to almost any other human being.

Finished... wonderful ! Congratulations ! It would be an honour to read your MS.

Beginnings are murder, yes. In my own I battled with the question : to prologue or not to prologue (in the end, I followed instinct and put it in). The current first chapter must have less than half the content of the original one, but I got over it, LOL.

So what's next now that it's finished ?

Hello, Richard.

I enjoyed reading the opening chapters of your historical crime story. There is definitely an atmosphere of another era in an American town. The dialogue shows that well, I think. Also, the relationship between Gretchen and Eugene is disquieting enough that I'm desperate to find out more about their history.

As much as I found chapters 2 and 3 to flow well, the writing in chapter 1 sounded somehow less assured. In particular, the scene where Gretchen encounters the cop at her car. I wonder if tightening that scene might be all that's needed ?

I hope you won't think me presumptuous if I took the liberty of applying virtual scissors to that scene to illustrate what I'm trying to say by "tightening" it. Having the scene play out in less words, I guess I mean. Where I changed a sentence, I inked it in red. Only a suggestion, that goes without saying !

Paul-Dominique

Good to hear that recovery is going well, David. The novel's development will follow, have no doubt! The era is riveting in itself, full of opportunity, with plenty of room for creative juices to flourish.

Welcome, Anthony ! It sounds like you've got a serious case of The Call To Writing. Don't ignore it, whatever you do. It could take years to reach your goal, as with many of us. Best of luck !

I had submitted to Austin Macauley; a couple of days later I discovered some of the horror stories of people who had published with them. A couple of months after my submission, they came back with an "offer." It was just like in the stories I'd seen online, so I declined.

Congratulations, David ! I hope the scariness is just nerves -  we writers are sensitive folk. The excitement outweighs the nerves in the end. (Not that I've actually landed an agent...) Good luck !

Thank you, and cheers ! 

😀 

Info
Full Name:
Paul-Dominique
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard