Paul-Dominique

Writing in the genre historical mystery. Historical period: early Roman Empire. My library is full of all kinds of mystery, spy, thriller stories, as well as biographies and ancient authors (before AD 300).

Relationships
Empty
Paul-Dominique Discussions
  •  · 
Hi, everyone. I thought I'd share what I learned from a 15 minute talk I just had with an agent - th…
  •  · 
  •  · 
  •  · Thank you, and cheers ! 😀 

Hi there, the both of you. Your website is absolutely out of this world ! Congratulations on it, and on your upcoming launch.

Hi William, and congratulations on your novel !

In addition to what L. replied on the dreaded synopsis, perhaps a word about your main character? If you're trying to seduce an agent with a crime novel, introducing said agent to a character that stands out from other crime-solving characters, someone the agent would want to follow. As for the invite to first three chapters, I'm willing.

Thank you very much, Karmen :-) Right now I'm struggling to get a paperback version printed... without any errors. What a trial.

Those wily Romans... they could teach a thing or two to modern politicians, except that the latter would probably refuse to learn....

I was starving for any feedback on the cover, so thank you very much, Sara :-)

Thank you kindly ! Up to my eyeballs now in marketing "strategies"... quite the maze, LOL

Hello, I used Calibre to create ePub and MOBI files to send my book to beta readers. No one complained. It successfully carried over a map, so I was very pleased about that. I see that two are very happy with Vellum. I do write on a Mac, so I may give that a go. Next step : get that reader magnet done ! Because it's been several days for me too since I last did any writing ; battling for that book cover :-o

Added a comment to Hello! 

Hello Neil, welcome to the community. Historical mystery/crime is my poison. Hoping to finish another (and final) edit, then find someone to build a website for me, then publish. Then hope that the world will notice !

Welcome to the group, Corryb ! Not sure which re-edit I'm on at the moment, there have been so many. I'm ready to admit that not all the readers are going to be pleased all the time, so I think my current re-edit is going to be the last.... Time to get on with getting it (self) published. Oh, did I mention that I still don't have a website, a fb page, a twitter account, a reader magnet, a decent photo of self, etc. etc. etc. ?

Using the multiple POV works well with crime or mystery stories, and adapt well to the screen. I've seen a number of tv programmes where the viewer sees the crime scene or another significant place or moment again and again, but each time from the POV of a different suspect. Needless to say, one doesn't see the same thing again and again.

One reader of my WIP complained about my jumping POV within a single chapter, to another two readers who had no problem with it. You can't please all the people all of the time. (In other words, what Harry said : anything goes.) Conclusion for my chapter : the multiple POV's are staying !

Hi, Janet. You aren't the only one to wonder at the sadness and irony of statements such as Faulks' in that interview. As Eric said, that viewpoint has become fashionable. This is my own, very unfashionable view : humans are a paradox. Knowing someone for a very long time does not necessarily mean that you know them well. Siblings who grow up together and keep in touch regularly often find out things about each other that astonish them. Spouses can surprise each other even after 40 years of marriage. Because people can change, and do. I "know" plenty of males that might share many aspects of my socio-psycho-sexuo-economic background, but of whom I would write very unconvincingly and poorly. In fine, I write about whomever the hell I want to write about, because I give each character, male or female, a part of my own soul, which is very much closer than I can get to almost any other human being.

Info
Full Name:
Paul-Dominique
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard