Bashu Nye

I am finally getting to the end of a historical murder mystery using real-life facts as a starting point. The last two chapters are proving to be the hardest of all. I have written since I became runner-up in a writing competition at the age of eleven. History has always been my genre but I have written articles for the Licensee magazine when I was a hotelier who ended up as a lecturer teaching catering and management.

Relationships
Empty
changed a profile picture 

Hi Tony what great news and so wonderful that you have been recognized twice in a week! It would so good to hear about your experience maybe you ought to do an event? 

Hi, Carol just a thought about your decision to make a comparison using your past chapter to your new creation. As I love writing murder mysteries I always start with a lot of questions. Where is this? What's happening? Why is that? Who is that? Where did they come from? I use every W I can think of to make a question. When I have satisfied myself that I know the place, the person and why they are there; only then do I write the 1st chapter. Don't know if this helps but for me sometimes further in the book I find myself saying 'they wouldn't act like that!' because I feel as if I know them like a close friend and hopefully - the reader will feel the same.

Added a comment to Head hopping 

I have just spent a very rainy but worthwhile day, here in Somerset UK, working my way through the wise and informative blog by Emma Darwin, on POV, as previously stated. 

Her writings have been a great help today, by making me go back to areas of dialogue or to look at a group of people that have been 'niggling' me because I wish certain ones to be recognized with a POV. Taking her advice to look at them individually i.e family, education, etc. to give them a voice through knowing them better, or to push them into the background with no voice at all, just remain as one who may have just a gesture to make. Has made me take each sub-character  - in one particular chapter, to either create a legend for them as they will have more say throughout the novel or for a couple of them to be deleted completely. 

What a hoot. I got Stephen King quite pleased as that was one bit of the novel I sent in that I'd had trouble with. Maybe the time I took was worth it!

Annie,

I loved your honesty in your post I did start much the same way but found as I let the story pan out that some of the characters were taking over! The trouble was because in my novel all the characters are working in a restaurant /hotel in the 1700s. I found if I gave a character a name they wanted to be heard! Then I had to back-track, frequently to find out where they last appeared and what they got up to!! Chaos! I invented a spreadsheet so that  I could enter each person who appeared in each chapter, time of day, and what they did. That way I felt back in control - of some of them, but some of the main characters seemed at times to rebel. 

I went back to the advice my mentor Sue Walker gave me which was to write a full detailed profile of all of my main characters. This way and believe me she made me write a really full profile! And, I admit it did work, for I knew that when one of my characters acted off the grid I knew whether they would have said or act that way. so sometimes they won sometimes it was me! LOL,,,......

Hi Lesley, Welcome.  I'm fairly new to the community and have found a warm welcome from so many people who show that they think and feel the same way. It's refreshing, for you immediately feel understood; whether your pacing the floor with a blank page or having a confidence meltdown because your book is approaching its conclusion. There is critique help, a friendly discussion, support in all areas of the written word; with so many inspirational writers on this site, you cannot fail to find any help you may need or just to exchange ideas.

Sorry Janet I am getting over- helmed with comments, going to sign out for now

I've done it! It seems that I am the furthest west. As we have sunshine I've coloured myself yellow.  

Hi Maggie P, Welcome you sound like you have a very interesting task ahead of you. You come across as a very caring person, especially when writing about your 'toddler' there sounds like many different aspects of your life will be linked with a sense of mischief and fun. Will look forward to hearing how you are doing. 

Hi Edward, I do agree with Rick that maybe there is too much emphasis in the set-up of characters, sometimes it is good to feed in traits, habits of their personality during conversation or in the silent times in your work when a description is welcome. I also like both of your suggestions but feel that they could be melted together. I wrote long lists of ideas before I found one that felt right. You have a good basis linking paranormal, revenge, lost love and fear, all make for a pretty dynamic read. Good luck.

Info
Full Name:
Bashu Nye
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard
Bashu Nye Photos