Carol Deer

Relationships
Empty

How appropriate no. 17 is for me. After months wasted trying to create a separate hook and inciting incident for The Fool (my debut novel), I couldn't do it. Reverted to my original, combined, version of chapter 1, and this morning my lovely editor sent me a rave review. Going with my gut instinct and throwing my MP into the thick of it right from the start.

Love 20. Boy, does my MP have problems on her problems!

19. Sex. Hmm.  I've got lots of consensual sex sans jealousy, but hell, it's steamy!

29. My lot have to laugh, chuckle and smile a lot. Or else they'd be weeping or committing hara-kiri because of everything I inflict on them.

No. 32.  Yeah!

(Good thing there wasn't a rule about exclamation marks.)  😄 

Thanks for sharing this, Kate. 

Yes, it would be wonderful to be able to do that too Georgina and Janet. However, only one bookshop (apart from WHSmith) in the entire local area, and that only sells books for children. A real shame, because my surroundings feature large as my series progresses.

A case of 'can't please all the people all the time'. You're right. Read, see if really applies, and move on, my friend.

Found it. Thanks Karmen. Just had to learn what upvote meant. 

Looking forward to reading your work and being able to upvote it too. Happy New Year of writing.

Just put a comment on Reedsy Discovery, Georgina. Hope it's a first for a very successful new year for you.

Signed up to RD this morning, so don't know how to 'give a vote'.

You've probably got enough for a novel.  Could be an intriguing plot. A heroine's journey? Will she or won't she fit into the society she finds herself plunged into, survive, make a life for herself, come to grief?

If she was in a state home for children, she might lack social skills but would have some survival skills from being in an institution. The head filled with out of date romanticisms would make her vulnerable in the outside world.

Might be just 2K words, but IMO you have to know your characters inside out before you start to write them.

This is going to be an interesting read.

This was a two-head-problem, Watson :)  Had to double check with husband who is the same age. I started work at 15 (1965) along with many of my friends, husband at 16, a year later. Both lucky enough to get jobs so didn't have to find out what was happening to less fortunate peers. 

Without knowing more about your story or character's age:

I'd suggest you check the youngest age people could go on the dole, as it was called back then. As you could legally get a job, possibly at 15. Not certain about this. 

If your character was removed from the care of the relative before that time e.g. if deemed unsafe with the relative, any child benefit/support would have moved on to the local authority if in state care, or to fostering or adopting parents through the local authority.  Child benefit to parents/care givers ceased as soon as work was found and the young person became 'independent'.

Remember too, that for many post war, there was still a stigma attached to asking for help if in financial difficulty. Dad had two jobs and Mum worked at various jobs at home or outside rather than ask for state handouts. Mum-in-law had to get child welfare payments and free school meals for the youngest, because she had three kids to care for. Again, a lot depends on the attitude of your character's relative because that would impact on the girl's economic situation. 

Welfare/state help was difficult to tap into - much harder than nowadays.

If your character is pre-working age during this period, these might also apply:

The Child Protection Act 1948 and how the, then Labour, Government administered it in 1960s. 

The Child Poverty Action Group being formed in 1960s because very many thousands of children were believed to be living in poverty during that time. 

Gone on a bit here, but hope I've at least given you some pointers for your research.

Hi Rick

In my teens in the 60s. Ordinary working class London family so even in the late 60s I and my friends didn't 'swing', although we were aware of what was going on in the scene via newspapers, teen magazines, and TV when parents could afford one. 

Remember our parents had come through WW2 and they still guided our language and actions quite strictly. Growing up, our playground was the street and a bomb site (without bomb) on the corner of our road - no health and safety rules in those days. Clubs and pop concerts were out of reach in our later teens and the way pop stars behaved e.g. drugs and drinking, etc. was deemed outrageous by our parents. Same for all my friends' families. If your character was brought up by a reclusive older person, I guess her upbringing and attitudes might be very similar.  

Yes, there were the films and plays, etc. but they were dramatisations of extreme situations - as all drama is. Depends on how realistic you want your story to be.

If you have any direct questions about real experiences of life growing up in those decades, message me. Happy to dredge through the memories for you, if I can help.

changed a profile cover 
Info
Full Name:
Carol Deer
Friends count:
Followers count:
Membership
Standard